Forum Fight!!!

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

Colonel, it is almost and difficult to pick fly shit out of pepper with boxing gloves on as it is to try and explain what is safe, unsafe, wise, stupid, necessary or unnecessary when training pilots on a given airplane.

There is no ons size fits all in multi engine training because the differences between airplanes can be night and day.

I know who Strega is and for sure I know who B.P.F.is and like airplanes the difference is like night and day.

i don't know who CpnCrunch is except he is another anonymous poster who does not like you and me it seems.

Can you handle that rejection?

ScudRunner-d95

CpnCrunch wrote: Scud: I just want to discuss aviation, not have bullshit mind games. When 3 posters (Chuck, Strega and the Colonel) say that only an idiot would cut an engine during ME training because it creates unnecessary risk, then completely change their mind and say it's fine to do that (just because Strega suddenly says he does it) and starts these ridiculous flame war against BPF, it's kind of ridiculous and a waste of everyone's time.

The reason avcanada is successful is that there isn't any of this bullshit any more, and we can actually discuss aviation rather than engaging in circle jerk mindgames and similar BS. There was a bit of overmoderation in the past on avcanada, but it seems fine now.
CpnCrunch I agree I wouldn't shut down an engine unless I had to, but I can always imagine a scenario when it might be safe and acceptable to do. Bringing that train of thought to forum moderation there are times when it maybe prudent to step in and moderate threads and times when its prudent to sit back and let the discussions continue.

As for Avcanadas success I would argue that it was successful for being first to market. That being said in the early days by all measures it was a backwater site, without much going on. ( I was a lurker and then posted under a different name)

What really kicked it off was guys like Chuck and Colonel posting their opinions which attracted allot of eyeballs. Yes the side show of the fights many people bemoaned but secretly that was what attracted them to it. The controversy brought the people and it became an institution because it really was the only player in town for so many years.

Today they claim to have 40K members but how many are active? most have walked away and don't bother to post. So yes it "seams fine" but that is because they chased a huge number of the members away with stupid moderation.

So if its fine over there go post a link to this site on there and see what happens. 
Chuck Ellsworth

The procedure Strega described was shutting off the fuel on one engine five thousand feet above the ground in a multi engine airplane.

I was asked if I thought it was unsafe.

My answer was no I do not as long as you fly the airplane and do not lose control and end up inverted...

...which some training pilots have done.

..and if you do accidently end up inverted my comment was do not split S to recover because the risk of breaking the airplane due to high speed and G loads is very high.

Chuck Ellsworth

Skud.

I know some of the posters on these aviation forums and your site has attracted some of the most experienced pilots in the world.

One of the best is the Colonel who I know on a personal level and admire greatly as a person and a pilot I would let any family member fly with him and would insist they take flying lessons from him.

Conversely there are some on these forums who I consider to be lacking in flying skills and or knowledge who I would not let a family member fly with.

The Colonel posts some of the best flying training advice I have ever read and he does it for free.
Strega

Mr Crunch.

Tell me where I said I feathered an engine? Do you even understand what a windmilling prop is?

Tell me how many light ME airplanes have had accidents because someone shut of the fuel for training?

Have you ever even flown a twin?  When an engine calfs.. its not MS flightsim anymore..
CpnCrunch

Strega wrote:
Tell me where I said I feathered an engine?

Where did I say that?

Do you even understand what a windmilling prop is?

Another douchebag comment.
Tell me how many light ME airplanes have had accidents because someone shut of the fuel for training?

Quite a few cases of not being able to start the engine again, including one example from the Colonel.
CpnCrunch

Chuck Ellsworth wrote: The procedure Strega described was shutting off the fuel on one engine five thousand feet above the ground in a multi engine airplane.

I was asked if I thought it was unsafe.

My answer was no I do not as long as you fly the airplane and do not lose control and end up inverted...

...which some training pilots have done.

..and if you do accidently end up inverted my comment was do not split S to recover because the risk of breaking the airplane due to high speed and G loads is very high.

I agree doing what Strega did is safer than doing it nowhere near the airport, and also somewhat safer than feathering the prop. However you did say in the past that shutting down an engine during training is an unnecessary risk, so I'm just wondering how that fits with your previous comments.

The real issue is that you seem to get into vendettas with people. As SSU mentioned, you hurl abuse at people you don't like, but seem to gloss over mistakes by your friends (and the Colonel too). You started hurling abuse at me for a while simple because I asked some questions about your run-in with TC. It isn't really conducive to learning about aviation, which is what I'm here for (or at least, mostly on avcanada, and occasionally here).

It would be great if there were less hysterics here and more discussion about aviation.
Chuck Ellsworth

Somewhat safer than feathering a prop?

When you  shut off the fuel the engine will no longer produce power, however it generally does not stop turning as long as you do not feather it.

I personally do not know of an instance where an engine would not restart when you turned the fuel back on as long as the engine was still windmilling.

As to my so called vendettas, I do not consider having the opinion that someone is lacking in skills or knowledge to be a vendetta.

In fact I do it without having to hide behind a made up name.

As to your comments about me and T.C. for your information it was not a " Run in "

TC was in contravention of the law, I used the legal system to defend myself and my company.

I won on all counts.

So if you feel uncomfortable that I took offence at you questioning the issue maybe you should know what the fuck you are talking about before you decide to be the gate keeper of these forums.
CpnCrunch

Chuck Ellsworth wrote:
I personally do not know of an instance where an engine would not restart when you turned the fuel back on as long as the engine was still windmilling.
Well, there were quite a lot of examples given. You would need to ask the people themselves whether they feathered or not.

As to my so called vendettas, I do not consider having the opinion that someone is lacking in skills or knowledge to be a vendetta.
You certainly have a vendetta with BPF.
In fact I do it without having to hide behind a made up name.
Neither do I, if that's what you're implying. Everyone here who I've talked to via PM knows my name, including you.

So if you feel uncomfortable that I took offence at you questioning the issue maybe you should know what the fuck you are talking about before you decide to be the gate keeper of these forums.

This is what I'm talking about.

before you decide to be the gate keeper of these forums

I'm not a gatekeeper, I'm just pointing out the reason why this forum doesn't have as many people posting as it should. It's pretty obvious, but most people are just too chickenshit to say.
Chuck Ellsworth

O.K. Cpn Crunch I will quit posting here for the good of the forum.

So you go ahead and bring it back to what it should be.