The NDB approach.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Liquid Charlie

Is it the generation or WTF is going on here. People seem to spout rules and regulations and forget about the first rule (in my book at least) "fly the fucking aeroplane" everything is secondary to that.

recommend ignoring the wind correction after the FAF

That's exactly what I'm saying. Good station passage then turn heading to match inbound track for one minute and reassess and chances are you will be almost bang on. If there major drift establish an incept heading and fly that but chances are you will so close to centre line no correction is required. Now to throw your "what if" which can back fire on you because you are chasing your tail, in actual IMC chances of a major wind shift in speed and direction is very likely so what you cross the beacon at and hold that heading thinking you are correcting properly will also sell you down the river. Think about that. At some time inbound you need to asses your track and the one minute point is about the best place. Once people get on to this NDB approaches become a non issue. Why do guys fuck them up, Because they are chasing shit right from the get go and generally generate the errors themselves and the wind has nothing to do with it.
Back in the day BGPS like BC Lmfaoooooo I would generate straight in NDB approaches (ya home brews) where there were circling approaches published and using the knowledge that the Colonel explained it makes sense you can fly a straight in approach with a beacon which is not on the centre line if you establish the runway track far enough out and hold the heading once the needle starts to open up. Instead of scaring the shit out of myself with a circling approach it would break out looking at the runway. Just PFM -- so simple in the flat lands - now for the mountains radar was the primary tool and the ADF was the backup.

Colonel

in actual IMC chances of a major wind shift in speed and direction is very likely
Exactly!  When I did the NDB in cloud on the
edge of Hurricane Fran in 1996, there was
FIFTY KNOTS of wind at the PT altitude
(1500) and yet on the surface, it was calm.

Remember, we are being lectured by a guy
that doesn't fly in cloud.

People seem to spout rules and regulations and forget "fly the fucking aeroplane"
You have become a BAD PERSON  ;D  but
realize that's the "FTU way".  At the flight
schools they teach that all the answers can
be found in the CARs.

now for the mountains radar was the primary tool
Of course, but please don't mention that here -
this crowd simply isn't up for that.
CpnCrunch

Colonel wrote:
Remember, we are being lectured by a guy
that doesn't fly in cloud.

You do realise, don't you, that posting completely ridiculous attempted personal attacks like that just makes you look bad rather than me?
So with no wind past the FAF, flying the heading, you can easily have 10 degrees of error showing, and be perfectly on track.

I'm aware of the errors in the ADF -- that is what prompted this thread in the first place.

First of all, 10 degrees of error by the pilot is still a flight test fail. Secondly, are you serious saying that it's ok for the pilot to have 10 degrees of error just because the instrument might be out by 10 degrees? That adds up to 20 degrees of error. That's pretty strange logic...
Chuck Ellsworth

I have been seriously thinking of removing this whole thread, I started it as a teaching tool and it has degenerated into utter chaos that may result in new pilots really having problems with understanding the subject.

I will think about it a bit more as it is so fucked up it maybe should be a sticky for the most stupid discussion on the internet.
CpnCrunch

Chuck Ellsworth wrote: I have been seriously thinking of removing this whole thread, I started it as a teaching tool and it has degenerated into utter chaos that may result in new pilots really having problems with understanding the subject.

I will think about it a bit more as it is so fucked up it maybe should be a sticky for the most stupid discussion on the internet.

I'm not sure why it should descend into chaos. It's a pretty straightforward point, and no reason for any emotion to get involved. Do you think it's ok to ignore the crosswind after crossing the FAF? I'd be interested in your opinion on this, Chuck. Aside from our arguments, you do have a lot of useful advice in flight training, and it's a shame you don't post on avcanada any more.
esp803

It's like watching the unstoppable force vs the immovable object.  All I feel like doing is shouting

"Jerry Jerry Jerry Jerry"

E
Liquid Charlie

All I can say is at the end of the day it boils down to what the ars of your pants is telling you - your spidy sense as it were. One thing I have learned that there is no correct one way one rule to do anything. For those who try to do it that way and are constantly throwing in "what if" scenarios all the time trying to come up with scripted solutions has never a natural pilot made. It's like pilots who ask for a wind check on final approach. It's fucking useless information. it going to change how you fly the aircraft. You have already chosen your runway so what else is there to do but fly the fucking aeroplane

[img]http://www.profpilot.co.uk/courses/images/scaredpax.png[/img]
Chuck Ellsworth

You have already chosen your runway so what else is there to do but fly the fucking airplane
That is O.K. and normal for those of us who know how to fly the airplane, but it would seem there are getting to be a whole lot of people out there who can not do that Charlie because they were never taught that part.  :)

Were you with Austin when Jim Bell was the chief pilot?
Chuck Ellsworth

Well my first comment is with regard to controlling airspeed.

When I was in the training business I found most pilots who had problems controlling airspeed were not taught the basics, ( attitudes and movements ) properly as they relied on looking at the airspeed for their attitude clues.

Thus they flew a roller coaster profile due to airspeed lag.

The fix was to cover up the instrument panel and not let them see it until they could fly accurately by outside visual clues.

You are correct that this forum could be an excellent place for pilots wanting mentoring to improve their knowledge and flying skills.

However how do you know who to believe on a forum mainly inhabited by people who are anonymous?

Chuck Ellsworth

With all due respect I can not agree with the suggestion that all the advice given here can be used as valuable information regardless of who gives it.

Flying can be unforgiving of mistakes to the point you can die in some instances....therefore the advice must come from people who are qualified to give it.