What does a flying instructor get paid these days?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
HiFlyChick

I'd still like to hear from the flight instructors out there...

Just curious because when I was instructing in the early 90s the pay was dismal and most people couldn't live on it (with the exception of the CFI who had a base pay).  There was one young single guy who made about $17,000, but he was always there and you might come in to find him sleeping on the couch in the lounge because he didn't go home after his late night flight.

Then a number of years later I was at the region's largest flight school and overhead an instructor complaining about the amount of taxes he paid.  Said amount was approx equal to what I made in a year, so I was thinking "What the heck is he making in a year?!"  I believe that after that there was a major upset at the school, though and it went into receivership (or close) and was bought by another organization.

So what do y'all make, instructors? :)