John T Walton

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
TwinOtterFan

I guess the difference is I am okay with some amatuer built aircraft that can also be registered as an ultralight, but even in those cases I guess if you want to register your home built as an ultralight you do not need nearly as many inspections so maybe you have something their. I did not realize how many differences were in say a kitfox when you registered as UL vs AB.

Colonel

Paper is nice, but as you get older you realize that good engineering, good parts, good maintenance and good training is what keeps you alive.

A good aircraft is a good aircraft regardless of the paper.

A bad aircraft is a bad aircraft regardless of the paper.
TwinOtterFan

I assume by paper you are referring to the registration? My experience is limited but from what I was told while your building a homebuilt if you plan to have it registered as an amatuer built it requires more inspections and tighter tolorances so to speak, where if you take the same aircraft and plan to register it as an ultralight the rules seem to be far more lax,

I think if you had a decent amatuer built aircraft and actually followed the recomended maintanence schedule then you should be at no greater risk than anyone else. Maybe not with every type out their but certainly with some of the popular ones.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:57 pm
Paper is nice, but as you get older you realize that good engineering, good parts, good maintenance and good training is what keeps you alive.

A good aircraft is a good aircraft regardless of the paper.

A bad aircraft is a bad aircraft regardless of the paper.
I agree completely but maintain there are ultralights that aren’t trash. I mean, a J-3 can be UL registered in Canada and they’re lovely airplanes.