What is your favorite plane you have flown?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

The Husky fly's like a Pitts...because it was designed by the same guy.

The Super Cub fly's like a Cub because it is a Cub.

The Husky is way, way better.

David MacRay

I'm convinced. Let's get a huskey to share.

I can chip in about $3200.
DonutHole

The husky is a cool airplane...

But fuck those flap hangars.

My favorite aircraft to fly so far is a 7GCBC, with the metal spar, spades and horsepower. 

I decided to fix them instead of fly them though, so as far as my favorite type to ride in I'd have to say the dash-8 is probably my favorite. 

I would like to get back into flying one day but who knows... Life isn't getting any longer and the more I think about bringing more aviation into the house the more I think it might be a better retirement activity.

A few aircraft I would like to hear perspective on are:
Bellanca viking
Globe swift
Kr-1
And has anybody actually witnessed a flying thatcher cx-4? I know chuck likes these
And of course the cricket.  Would love just to see one.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]And of course the cricket.  Would love just to see one.[/quote]

I own one. they are really well designed machines.

The Bellanca and the Swift are real nice flying machines.

David MacRay

When is the last time you flew the cricket Chuck and what is the max gross takeoff weight?
Liquid Charlie

For me B72, HS74, BCH 18, DC3 and Whoredyne in that order - I was never a fan of DH products

In my youth a J3-90hp was a great and fun toy, now I might vote for a Husky on big wheels but for the time being  I'm having a blast with my minijet boat  >:D
Eric Janson

I really enjoyed flying the DC-3.

The 737-300 was my first jet so it holds a place on my list.

The 757 was an amazing machine - would go anywhere the 737-300 would go and could be operated trans-atlantic as well.

The A330 is a fantastic piece of technology.

The A340 is my current favourite - low oil prices have changed the economics of this aircraft. You can lease one for less than the lease on a 737/A320. Flies beautifully - I prefer it over the A330.

The A340-500 is in a class by itself - performs like a twin. It's the only aircraft I've flown where an engine failure in cruise has no consequences - you can maintain speed and altitude. The aircraft will actually fly [b]further[/b] on 3 engines.
Skyhunter

F-5 Freedom Fighter,

First time Air to Air refueling, only the single seat version had the probe so first time is solo.

First time shooting a gun from an airplane, and like the probe, only the single seaters had a gun.

Dropped my first bomb from the sleek little jet.

Went fast because of its shape, not its power (or lack thereof).

Stable down low, like a rock, and rolled at 720 deg/sec even if did have the turn radius of a mac truck on black ice.

For a 4 year old boy who decided he wanted to be a fighter pilot, it was there first airplane where I could say I had realised that dream.

Only a hundred hours on it, but it is my favourite.
BCPilotguy

My Cherokee. 

Of course being that my logbook only contains entries from 3 C172s, 2 C150s, a Warrior and my Cherokee, I haven't exactly flown a plethora of aircraft on which to base my opinion.

I like the Cherokee because:

1. It's mine
2. Manual flaps
3. It's yellow
4. Doesn't glide worth a shit/prodigious descent rate in a slipping turn make for tight and fun circuits
5. Feels more solid in the air than brand C airplanes
6. Overhead trim crank has a bit of vintage cachet
7. Super duper draggy, I can approach as fast as I want and bleed off any excess energy in the last couple hundred feet
8. 2" wider cabin than a 172 (makes more of a difference in comfort than you would think)
9. I get to hop off the wing like Chuck Yeager, rather than slide underneath like your first girlfriend  :))

10. (most important) It's mine
Barneydhc82

Nearly 800 hours on this little bird.  I flew one for the first time at Camp Borden in 1968, when all of the manufacturers were trying to sell the CAF a new Chipmunk replacement.  It was in tough shape when I bought it in 1996 and the "What-If" paint job was the result.

Not flying anymore do to Mother Nature jerking me around and the Grumman Alleycat is for sale

[URL=http://s60.photobucket.com/user/alleyca ... t.jpg.html][img width=500 height=324]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/a ... leyCat.jpg[/img][/URL]