Canadian Pilots Sponsored for US Airlines

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Oh dear. Sorry to hear that.

I’m a big fan of both TX and FL. Would happily live in either state.

If you don’t mind the rain, live in WA (no state income tax) and when you want to buy something dip south across the border into OR where there is no sales tax. :^)

Squaretail

I’m a big fan of both TX and FL. Would happily live in either state.
I dunno. I find them to be scorching or muggy, depending on what part of them you're in. I heard the keys are nice though. But hurricanes though. And holy shit tornadoes. I've seen them in Alberta, but Texas does everything bigger. Suffice to say there's a reason everyone wants to live in California.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Nark

The weather in Cali is fantastic.

Wildfires and earthquakes don’t bother me. Walking in flip-flops and stepping on needles does.

One is more likely to happen than the other.

Circling back, taxes. State taxes. The difference in income taxes can be significant. Cost of living is ridiculous too.
The state is so broke, they have crews that are based there pay some sort of state taxes for the time they are there, in spite of paying state income tax elsewhere. Ie, if I’m LAX based and spend 65 days of the year sleeping in a Crashpad pre or post trip, guess what you have to be pay? As far as I know, California is the only state that does that for transient workers. But…. Sanctuary cities for illegals…?
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Nark

Speaking of taxes, I visited the family this past week.
I really miss the views:
92D45764-DBC3-419B-8AC3-98E6CE64EA34.jpeg
DD84C0B7-C754-4F3A-87C6-37FD5D319E1F.jpeg
(not sure why it’s upside down, they’re not in Oz)
My mom and sis have a cabin in Lake country BC. Had a great time without connectivity.

Driving past many of the gas stations, diesel is 1.89/liter (soorry litRE). Convert to USD and gallons, that’s $1.50 more per gallon than what I pay.

Yeah, Putin’s tax hike…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Colonel

I'm amazed you were allowed to visit Canada.

I looked up the rules, and they were so complicated and threatening, I would have to hire a lawyer to ensure I complied with the initial and ongoing requirements.

And of course, I have learned that I cannot bring a phone or watch or pad or laptop with me to Canada, because they are seized and never returned. There does not seem to be a concept of private ownership of property in Canada.

I'm sure North Korea has some nice landscapes, but I'm not visiting them any time soon either.

Squaretail

Nark wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:34 pm
The weather in Cali is fantastic.
Its really hard to beat. I mean look at that sky! Its like that all the time there.

Colonel

Bet you could get that airplane cheap! Good wx, and cheap airplanes :^)

It would appear good wx does not come at an inexpensive price.

I don't miss the bugs, and it's kind of nice to ride the Busa to the airport in February and fly some aerobatics in the warm sunshine.

As I mentioned before, I don't own a car or truck or any four wheeled vehicle any more. Don't need one. All I really need is a Busa for the highway and a Monkey for tooling around town.

There is no perfect place. To each, their own.
Squaretail

Colonel wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:04 pm
Bet you could get that airplane cheap! Good wx, and cheap airplanes :^)
At least it should have no corrosion.
Colonel

People seem to love the cars from here. They're sun-baked, but if you can find one that hasn't been crashed, it will have good bones.

Guy in the hangar next to me, wanted to get his pilot licence, rolled the dice and bought a 182 that had been sitting on the ramp for a couple years.
No corrosion, it needed a bit of work and off he went!