Committed Aviation

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:43 am
I think you and Richard Bach may be long-lost brothers!
One of my local biplane heroes growing up learned to barnstorm alongside Richard Bach in the early 1970s so maybe I’m more like a distant cousin.

Read several of his books, possibly all of them. Wish I could remember which one had his short story School for Perfection or something like that, I’d be tempted to found a place like that in real life. About the closest I’ve found is the AAA members-only fly in. I went a couple years ago and everyone was friendly and flying their antiques and each other’s antiques too. I didn’t even fly down and on day two I was up solo in some guy’s J-2 Cub who I had just met. They have NORDO ATC which is some guy standing by the button in an orange shirt with a red flag and a green flag. Whether holding short or on short final you’ll figure out what he wants. When I landed the Cub some kid and his girlfriend came running over hollering to not shut down because they were going up next. And so it went seemingly all day until dark with Wacos and Cubs and a Beech 18 and an outstanding Pitcairn. Oh, and the replica Mr. Mulligan which just makes me feel things. I should have tried to score a ride in it. What a place! Next time I’m bringing a biplane to share.

The Moth’s plugs were cleaned and gapped less than two flying hours ago so you’re right, it’s probably time. I just run Champion motorcycle plugs which hold up well but do no favours for the radio… if I take one.

Slick Goodlin

Mr. Mulligan may not look like much but it goes.
120AC1B1-A69B-4755-965B-F555CC68C140.jpeg
Talking to the pilot he said he flew there at ultra economy cruise, loafing along well under 50% power and still showed 220mph. The original one was faster than anything the US Army Air Corps had, fighters included, and sat four.

Here I am in the borrowed Cub, number three for takeoff behind a Beech 18 and a Travel Air 6000. The Beech is a common enough airplane (lol) to be boring at a place like this. Where do you find a Travel Air 6000?
1CA95CBB-FC9B-4527-AEAA-9680AC347EEE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colonel

Taildragger / tube & fabric / biplane / radial engine ... is just magical on grass.

Hard to put into words.

Used to love Geneseo. Greatest Show On Turf, they claimed.

PS keep the photos coming! Eye candy is what makes us great. :^)

I like your knife-edge view on the world.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:41 pm
Used to love Geneseo. Greatest Show On Turf, they claimed.
Geneseo is great for the warbird crowd but Blakesburg is so far the best gathering I’ve been to. The difference is they don’t allow spectators and as such there’s no rope separating the action from watching. I hate that rope and suspect it’s why I rate Oshkosh as a solid ‘Meh.’ Once you’re past that airfield gate in Blakesburg it’s nothing but friends and their planes. I heard Brodhead is the same but I haven’t been… yet.
Colonel

It's not just the hardware. It's the people behind the hardware.

Girl in the pink vest is an awesome stick. Melissa.

... and here's my kid, pretending he's Carole:

I rate Oshkosh as a solid ‘Meh.’
Now, now. Oshkosh is amazing in it's own way. Every pilot should fly in, at least once.

You're just not the target demographic. We don't watch Disney movies any more, do we?
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:53 pm
Oshkosh is amazing in it's own way. Every pilot should fly in, at least once.
For sure, and I’ve been there twice just haven’t flown in. I’m cool with that and if I ever build something that begs to be shown off I’ll fly it down. Otherwise I could take or leave it.
Colonel wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:53 pm
We don't watch Disney movies any more, do we?
We don’t?