PIC is King

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Squaretail

Had the misfortune lately of having to check out a bunch of other pilots recently, and one thing stands out. Those who got lots of PIC time are better than those who don't. PICUS should just be called what it is, DUAL. IF you need supervision, you ain't in command, and it shows. People may beg to differ, but I'm to the point where if I see PICUS on a resume, it goes to the bottom of the pile. Now I'm just a little airplane flyer, but time on the stick matters. This is for all you young guys out there looking to climb the ladder.

Almost as important is recency. My God two years off for some guys put some of them back at sub-PPL skill level. Content to rest on their log-book. IF you're looking to get back in the game after some lay off time, go get some stick time somewhere. Anywhere!

The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Scudrunner
Site Admin

When my former company came up with a PICUS program it was nothing more than a way to get otherwise qualified pilots upgrading to the left seat past the Contrails requirements for flying oil and gas company personnel around.

It then devolved into a shit show of FO thinking they could log MPIC while only being FO and then be captain.

I recall a discussion with a good pilot whom I would have been happy to sit right seat while I mentored his transition to skipper.

He asked what really was the difference in jobs and that he was making decisions all the time while PF and knew the plane well. He wasn’t wrong a good stick with prior PIC time up north.

When I said ultimately the responsibility for a safe flight rested on my shoulders. But we are a team he replied it’s up to both of us.

Then I asked him the name of Captains Sullys First Officer. Blank stare while I sat there drinking a coffee a minute past then I think it hit him and he said the smartest thing “dam, you’re right”

For some it’s a good program to help get qualified pilots ready for the left seat.

Flying professionally as a captain should always be about mentoring the pilot beside you so they can pass the knowledge down. Sadly I don’t think it’s that way with many people these days.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Nark

Funny you mentioned that, I was talking to Jeff Skiles this morning…

Looked at a Bellanca Super cruiser for a buddy at his hometown airport.
47C26566-5FF2-4060-B1E4-9B4FC966C7D8.jpeg

Back to the topic at hand: there’s a reason there is only 1 Captain on board every multi crew aircraft.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com