China Lake Museum

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Squaretail

Not sure if anyone else has been, but got to visit this place recently.

https://chinalakemuseum.org/

Worth a visit if you get a chance. I didn't have the time to get a base museum tour, but it looks cool for the low price of $10.

Lots of mind blowing stuff. Missiles are both cruder than I thought, yet ingenious at the same time. For example, I didn't know that lots of them are just made out of plain ol' steel pipe. Same stuff your average pipeline is made of. WW2 Air to ground rockets were largely rocket motors welded to various caliber of artillery shells, so a salvo of 6" rockets was pretty much a broadside from a light cruiser.

There's a F-11 there which is one of the prettiest planes they ever made (also another as a gate guardian at the base entrance along with a F-4) . Unfortunately the Skyraider and A-6 that used to be on display isn't there at the moment.

Most of the museum is about missile and rocketry development, if you want to know how a sidewinder works.

Also, if one is passing through Ridgecrest the best place to eat, if one likes Mexican, is Olvera's. You know, if you're on the edge of the dessert, before the drugs take hold and the bats and manta rays swarm to attack. ;)

The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
JW Scud

Been there.

Speaking of the F11, it it written about in a very good book I just finished called Corky Meyer’s Flight Journal.

Well worth reading without the boring engineering mathematics. In fact, he was just a regular pilot that got hired by Grumman during WWII. Loads of interesting stories with just the right amount of technical detail.
David MacRay

I try not to pass any museum with one or more of the following, flying contraptions, tractors, musical instruments, automobiles, stuffed badgers.
Slick Goodlin

David MacRay wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:50 pm
I try not to pass any museum with one or more of the following, flying contraptions, tractors, musical instruments, automobiles, stuffed badgers.
You’d never make it out of Florida
David MacRay

I’m pretty sure I could eventually make my way over to New Orleans.