Work hard.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Squaretail

Colonel wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:38 pm
I am saddened by the defeatist attitude that it just doesn't matter. That is a sick society.
That just shows that you don’t read anything that I write, or if you do you seek to twist it for the sake of being difficult or your own political agenda.
I have never known anyone to achieve anything worthwhile, that didn't take an awful lot of
hard work over a lot of years.

Very true. Though what is worthwhile is different depending on your perspective. What I get from your messaging is that there are few things that you approve of that are “worthwhile”. Usually tied to a monetary value. Thank God the whole world doesn’t think this way, what a dog eat dog hellhole it would be.
I know Hollywood pitches the entitled narrative that everyone is a one-in-a-billion unicorn
that everything will come to without any effort ("naturals", "phenomenons") but that simply
isn't true in the real world. As the dude said in the convocation video, "You are not special".
But by the same token you would have us believe that there are some who have an inborn or genetic ability to work harder than their fellow humans. They are just naturals at working hard. Special as it were. The rest should just keep their heads down and stand in awe. Sorry but I’m not bowing.
The harder I work, the luckier I get.
If that makes you feel better keep telling yourself that. But it’s not useful advice to anyone else. It omits a lot.

Let me tell you a story. My father is one of the hardest working people I know. Or at least was. His output in retirement is somewhat less than his youth, and my god I’m thankful that at least he made it there. During his life he worked all the time. He worked as a mechanic for highways during the day (one of those public sector jobs that you disdain), he worked at the family trucking business doing the same at night, and also manage to raise cows on the side. Additionally he managed to raise five kids. By himself for a chunk of it. Would in your books would you qualify this man as a “hard worker”? Probably not, he certainly never got rich, at best made a living at his endeavours. At least not a hard worker by the standards that we are continually bombarded with in today’s world, especially by those with right of center leanings.

Now I should say that I learned from him to keep my head down and work like a dog. I’ve done that for a lot of years. That’s good advice when picking rocks for Grampa, since back talk might get a swift kick across the field, but it’s not great when you enter the rest of the workforce. I remember my family was aghast when I quit my first job. Spoke up when it was time to, used my refusal to work for the first, and unfortunately not the last time. Dad ended up agreeing with me, but I could tell it was against his nature.

So speak up when you need to. I know if you’re trying to keep people down, you really don’t want them to learn that, but learning when to say NO will probably be one of the most important things you learn in this world. Sometimes it’s more effective to tell people to fuck off, but use discretion. It may not lead to spectacular success, but it may be crucial to your survival. Literally. If you’re dead, you don’t get to keep working like a dog after all.

Small injustice side point: it’s cheaper for a big company for you to die on the job than you to be permanently injured. Keep that in mind when you review your work safety policy.

Also, if you want to do something more interesting and maybe more satisfying and worthwhile to you, you have to speak up. Otherwise the world will assume you are happy to sweep floors. You would rather drive the forklift than sweep? No one is going to let you try unless you ask. Someday you will have to make a decision on how much work you want to do to get money, and how much effort you want to spend getting somewhere you want. The paradox being that to get farther you will need money, so you will have to figure out a balance. You only have so much time on this earth after all. Remember, when you are at work, you aren’t being paid to believe in the power of your dreams, so if you want to do the latter, you will probably have to say no to someone. Whomever that is, there will be a price, nothing is free in this life.

That’s enough for now. I know some have a closed mind that can’t consider the point of view that may have evolved in a drastically different environment than theirs. Fair enough. I get where “work harder, get luckier” comes from, but it’s glib and doesn’t really understand the role of luck.

If I was to give my own advice, maybe to younger me, here is what it would be.

1) Saying no will get easier the more you do it, and it’s going to turn out ok.
2) Go fishing more often. The work will be there later, Grampa won’t.
3) Always say yes to flying new airplanes, it is never as hard as you were told, except for
4) Don’t fly junk. You won’t always be fast and clever as you think.
5) Don’t trust anyone who is in real estate.

The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Colonel

There's a lot to tackle there, but:
What I get from your messaging is that there are few things that you approve of that are “worthwhile”. Usually tied to a monetary value
Hold a minute bucko. You know that I worship Bob Hoover, Rob Holland and Tommy Emmanuel.
IMHO those men are gods amongst mortals. Are any of them rich? Not a fucking one of them.
Have any of them succeeded at something "worthwhile" (mastery of an aircraft or guitar)? You
betcha. How did they do it? They worked harder at it than anyone else.
They are just naturals at working hard
What is it with this "natural" or "phenomenon" bullshit? It is possible that people learned a strong
work ethic (laughable in Canada, I know) from a good role model?
So speak up when you need to
Rarely do I meet anyone these days, that I think works too hard and talks too little. If I do, rest
assured that I will correct them.
I get where “work harder, get luckier” comes from, but it’s glib and doesn’t really understand the role of luck.
Now we're getting to the core of the matter. All too often, I see lazy people who don't work very
hard and whine that they're not succeeding.

I guess they're "unlucky?" that they aren't "naturals" that don't succeed without effort? Too bad they
don't put as much effort into constructive work, as they do into conjuring excuses.

I live in a meritocracy, where hard work can get you ahead. I feel sad that you live someplace else,
where hard work is contemptible and success is determined by the Fates.

I enjoy working hard at something worthwhile, and getting good at it. Really fucking good at it.

I know, I know, I'm not a Good Canadian™. Got that.
Squaretail

Colonel wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:49 pm

What is it with this "natural" or "phenomenon" bullshit? It is possible that people learned a strong
work ethic (laughable in Canada, I know) from a good role model?
Uh, you are the one putting that theory forward. That’s chiefly what I disagree with. Yes a good role model is important. You discount this entirely with lots of your examples. One perhaps can chalk a lot of success up to it. Statistically, you’re likely to follow your parents foot steps, few of us break the molds.
Rarely do I meet anyone these days, that I think works too hard and talks too little. If I do, rest
assured that I will correct them.
Now I feel bad for you. Clearly you don’t live in a world where other people are hard working. Or at least you don’t perceive them to be. Whenever I travel I always find out how hard working lots of people are. Most of them keep their heads down, I feel bad for some of them doing unsafe and unappreciated work. Mexico is really illustrative, my god those people work. Everyone you talk to works a grotesque work day, and most of them with the goal of making sure their kids get to have a better life than them. And most of them do it with a smile, we should say to compliment someone who works hard that they work like a Mexican. Lots of people work hard, at least in my world. The world would fall apart if they didn’t, nothing would work, the buses would run on time and the power would be out all the time if they didn’t. Thank the gods people work harder than you think they do, and most of them just keep their heads down doing it. Otherwise we would probably have more revolts on our hands.

Now we're getting to the core of the matter. All too often, I see lazy people who don't work very
hard and whine that they're not succeeding.
Again, sorry that you live in such a world. Maybe it’s the people you hang with? I’m not sure what your world is like. I thought you lived somewhere sunny. How can there be people whining about it? Surely living there is a sign of success.
I live in a meritocracy, where hard work can get you ahead. I feel sad that you live someplace else,
where hard work is contemptible and success is determined by the Fates.
If you think I have contempt for hard work, you know nothing about me and we have nothing further to talk about. But success has an element of luck to it. If only since survival does. Timing counts for a lot. You’re lucky if genetics doesn’t deal you a nasty hand. Yes there are some people who blame bad luck for their poor decisions, and absent work ethic, but fortunately they are in the minority, at least in my world. More is the case that I marvel at how some people managed to persevere in spite of being phenomenally unlucky.
I enjoy working hard at something worthwhile, and getting good at it. Really fucking good at it.
So do I. But I sense our views of the world are different by our experiences. In yours there are few people who are good, and the rest are whiny bums. In my world the bums are few, and I can sense where success has meant merely survival in the face of tremendous odds and opposed to spectacular success, and a majority are showing up on time to make the world turn. I’m always surprised when it occurs to me that my view of the rest of humanity is somewhat more sunny than other people, since I’m a paranoid pessimist for the most part. Maybe it’s my sunny optimism that irritates you? Stranger things have happened.

At the end of it, I just don’t like the phrase you like to use. A quirk of phraseology, that has inaccuracy contained to further one’s politics. Maybe you feel it’s accurate to you, but i don’t feel it’s an accurate description when I have heard it in the past. We’re not as far apart as you think, but if it serves your politics to think so, we’ll keep on keeping on.

My advice to you would be to talk to more people in the real world. You might be surprised by the ordeals of their lives (pleasantly maybe). The internet has perhaps magnified what you see as people whining. It is a place people go to bitch after all.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Slick Goodlin

It’s a little out of my league, but not as far out as I would have expected:

https://www.platinumfighters.com/invent ... tarfighter
Colonel

I'm in for $100k. Pestering my kid this morning. Let me know if anyone else is in.
Slick Goodlin

Maybe someone can get lucky and the bids stay low on your dream plane here:
https://www.mbauction.com/auctions/9724 ... abled=true

The Cessna 120 could be a nice little plane, that T-cart may be a steal and the Long-EZ could be a poor man’s bizjet equivalent. Personally, my idiot brain wants the twin Navion: half the speed of a Cirrus for only twice the fuel burn!
Scudrunner
Site Admin

cool website, gotta keep that in my scan for new toys
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.