My Theory About Aircraft Prices

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
The Dread Pilot Roberts

Anything requiring skill to operate the prices have remained stable.

Eg this beautiful Cessna 190 for 100K
85E187CC-36B1-4427-B861-98F1D7912A5A.jpeg
74A52464-3DCB-45A8-A4AA-F05FA3642975.jpeg
9D963F04-8036-4204-B61A-BBA2F4573F12.jpeg

Basic skill insanity prevails
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nark

Valid hypothesis.

Absolute insanity…
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
digits

Definitely possible.
I bought an ifr equipped twin because it was cheaper than a proper ifr equipped single.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Same with my 337,
75K USD
200 hours TT on front 50 TT Rear
New props with the Apollo WAAS IFR GPS and MFD

Not that I’m going to be pounding around IFR much but under 100k even less with partners. I got money left for a Pitts.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Colonel

Dumb question: they can ask stupid prices. But is anyone actually paying those ridiculous amounts?!

If so, then we have to ask (assuming these airplanes are flown after they are purchased)

1) where are really shitty pilots getting that much money? Is this a finance thing or are people converting cash into aluminum?
2) where did the demand come from? Where did all the new shitty, wealthy pilots materialize from?

Are we seeing a reaction to inflation? Are other, similar commodities skyrocketing in price similarly?!

Has real estate prices gone nuts, too? This doesn't seem to think so:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/zillo ... 1635785293
Squaretail

Colonel wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:00 am

1) where are really shitty pilots getting that much money? Is this a finance thing or are people converting cash into aluminum?
2) where did the demand come from? Where did all the new shitty, wealthy pilots materialize from?
While the current economic situation is bad for many, there are some who are profiting a lot off of it. Not always who one would think. While I'm not sure if my small sample is indicative of the world in general, the requests for my instructing services are getting way more than I want, and lots of them are guys who are spending way too much money on little airplanes.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
anofly

I know a somebody that bought an Aztec, mid 1970s' , in annual, with 2 yr props, for less than 40k$. not without issues, vfr radios, garmin 430 non Waas. Engines sort of 300 odd hours smoh but a few years... Like 10 ish...
less than 3000 hours total time, boots.
It will not be cheap in this world to run. but It sure was reasonable to purchase. If you want an aztec.
People pay more for tripacers...
digits

Scudrunner wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:49 am
Same with my 337,
75K USD
200 hours TT on front 50 TT Rear
New props with the Apollo WAAS IFR GPS and MFD

Not that I’m going to be pounding around IFR much but under 100k even less with partners. I got money left for a Pitts.
A pitts and a twin is all you need :-)

(well it woudl be nice if the twin could be put on floats or skis, but ah well, 75k USD is a fairly limited budget)
Colonel

guys who are spending way too much money on little airplanes
The entire business model of Columbia & Cirrus was to get inexperienced pilots,
who couldn't even remember to raise and lower the gear (hence the fixed gear)
and thus couldn't fly even retractable singles (and let's face it, twins would kill
them) ....

The guys in expensive 3-piece suits with fancy B-school letters after their names,
wanted to get those pilots flying solely on autopilot in icing conditions, with airframe
parachutes for when they pick up too much ice. With no autopilot, they die in cloud -
see all the recent accidents when they try to hand-fly IMC on departure or arrival.

Now, I'm not saying this is downright evil - although I sympathize with people who
might easily conclude that. But it is a bit sleazy, and it puzzles me that everyone
is cool with it.

Note that I am not saying that everyone with less than 1000TT is stupid. They
just don't know very much about aviation, and that can kill them. Abysmal training -
which everyone loves - has consequences.

How odd that people are ok with dying as a result of their lack of skill and knowledge,
but "mean words" make them burst into tears.

I do not understand this generation.
Squaretail

I do not understand this generation.
Its not "this" generation that has the money to spend on airplanes.

When I see people blowing big money on planes, its guys who are in the generation before mine. Maybe your generation. I don't know. Know of two guys who put money down on Cirruses. Apparently there is such demand on these kinds of planes, they're back ordered. So why are more older guys getting into flying? Here's my theory: Commercial air travel again has become an order of magnitude more of a hassle. It happened after 9/11, it has happened with the more recent covid/economy. More people get the idea of alternatives to the airliners. Those with lots of money are getting into the private jet game, one way or another. Some though through some strange math figure its going to be a better idea to fly themselves. The factor for them usually isn't money, its time. They want to get flying fast. If they have to convince the wife, they buy a Cirrus because of the parachute. If she's happy to let him kill himself, he gets whatever he fancies. Usually the shinier and more gizmos the better. Insurance might have a say - and that might get them to choose something tamer to start with, again, not because of money, because of time. Its important to get flying now, life is short after all. If insurance says a guy needs a special course or a lot of dual... well that's a lot of time. I mean the whole point of the thing is to save a lot of time. No line ups, go when you want. They're going to be sorely disappointed. OR dead. But by God, you can't wait for this stuff. Right? Right.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...