I'm Getting Old

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Liquid Charlie

It's a fact

I'm now seeing pilots who are entering the profession who believe that stick and rudder skills are not important and automation removes the requirement. It's like talking to a fucking wall or to myself since I'm a little hard of hearing.

I'm in a unique position sitting in a type that is older than myself. Now that's fucking old. Granted we have upgraded avionics and engines but there is no autopilot and aileron drag and 11 degree deck angle at rest is still there. Explain the concept of cross winds and control is like bringing the new candidates right back to square one. Most eventually get it and I certainly hope they are better drivers because of it. I hope they realize that this will be likely the most fun they are ever going to have as pilots (unless they go see the Colonel).  Once they get their dream job automation will be it. That's why airline pilots always talk about their contract. Flying is now boring  >:D

Colonel

Your co-pilots have no idea how lucky they
are, to be flying that type with you to teach
them how to fly!

[img]http://www.baslerturbo.com/uploads/2/0/ ... 5_orig.gif[/img]
Colonel

I was actually offered a BT-67 job a while
back ... turned it down, getting too old for
that gypsy life!
Chuck Ellsworth

Anyone here flown the C117?
duCapo

[quote]Anyone here flown the C117?[/quote]

No, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn once.
GoBoy

My main ride was built in 1940 , my spare was designed in 1928, I was born in 1962
My world consist of joy sticks , undercarriage, tailwheels, heal brakes, rudder pedal, rudder bars , wheel landings , one wheel crosswind landings , unbalanced ailerons > you put the aircraft in to a bank turn > you take it out or the most part it will stay there,being able to avoid ground loops, two wings, flying wires , lots of drag, hand propping and lots of varying grass field conditions
I could not imagine having fun flying something that flies itself most of the time while you sit around babysitting it.
Stick and rudder flying is the be all and end all for me I don't want it any other way.
There is no better feeling that a wonderful smooth wheel landing , a perfect crosswind landing or a well executed sideslip to a short field landing (don't quote this to my wife ha ha ha)
It always amazes me on how many of my pilot passengers cannot keep my aircraft straight and level , they are mostly all over the sky .
Stick and rudder skills are definitely a dying art
Chuck Ellsworth

Stick and rudder skills are a dying art because of a lack of flight instructors who have the skills never mind understand the art .

I enjoy the cyclic, collective and anti torque pedal art.

ScudRunner-d95

[quote author=Colonel link=topic=1107.msg4098#msg4098 date=1446907689]
Your co-pilots have no idea how lucky they
are, to be flying that type with you to teach
them how to fly!

[img width=500 height=353]http://www.baslerturbo.com/uploads/2/0/ ... 5_orig.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I think the brass laying there is worth more than an Encore FO's pay
Nark1

I was chatting on an America forums I frequent (jetcareers.com) about how few pilot I've seen click off, not only the autopilot but the autothrust as well.  I commented that I saw a United fellow click off the autothrust well prior to the approach and flew the STAR.  Someone responded, "Is that legal?"  Are you fucking kidding me?

I'm sort of a wuss, and I'll kick off the autothrust on the LOC.  I have a goal of flying hand the STAR.  You know what stopping me?  Absolutely nothing.
I'll report back after my next trip.  It's time to take the training wheels off.

I'm extremely blessed to have other avenues of honing my stick and rudder skills, however sadly many of my cohorts do not.  Nor do they care too, which is truly the sad part.