IFR separation

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
TwinOtterFan

Just flew back from Alberta, doesn't seem horrible there lol. Anyway on the flight out I got my little guy a window seat and while he was explaining the different "cloud cities" we were flying through while at cruise another jet ripped by in the opposite direction.

It was quick, but I have to say I was surprised how close it was. It's a couple hundred meters normal for opposing traffic?

Slick Goodlin

Opposing direction traffic would be 1000 feet above or below but it always looks really close. I assume it’s because the next nearest thing of obvious discernible size (the ground) is miles below you.
TwinOtterFan

I was wondering about the perspective part of it, in all the flights I've ever been on it was my first time seeing that.
mcrit

I know 1000’ separation always looks really close when I’m up front.

The rocks also look really close when your at MSA in the mountains.
Colonel

Beyond about 10 feet, your binocular stereoscopic depth perception doesn't work.

Instead, you brain relies on visual cues to estimate distances, and can be easily fooled.

For example, a 747 will look HUGE at the same distance, compared to say a little F-16.

Similarly, if you see a 747 fly through the sky, it will appear to be moving much slower than
the F-16 at the same speed, because it takes longer to travel it's fuselage length.

Illusions, man. Not just a book from that nutbar Bach.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

1000 foot separation

One thing you do need to watch out for is the wake turbulence produced by a heavy ripping over head. It can/will drift down and you’ll have a bad time.

Everyone is trying to kill you. Write that down.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.