Day dreaming about airplanes.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
TwinOtterFan

This isn't to shabby and 20k cheaper,
217211778_549147759574662_2210012163643532639_n.jpg
217633994_337886911329141_1956214419979331151_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TwinOtterFan

I couldn't decide if this thread or the Night VFR thread would have made more sense for this question as it kind of hits on both. Either way looking for some input from everyone on a time building plane, one of the things I keep getting hung up on is getting one with NAV/landing lights or just getting a day VFR plane.

I know a lot of the CPL guys at my FTU do a lot of their time building at night because they can build time for the CPL but also build towards those 100 night XC for the ATPL later down the road.

So I guess what I am wondering is from the people who have just done it or even did it a while and maybe would have done it differently is it worth trying to build your CPL hours combined with night XC? Or was it easy enough to get them along the way?

Second to that if I do find a good AB with electrics, how hard is it to add NAV/landing lights to it, if it turns out to be a good way to go?
Liquid_Charlie

One license at a time. Out thinking yourself can lead you down the path of spending money you didn't need to. Once you get you commercial you can build up that night time and get paid for it and bonus is that it's all xcountry. This really holds true if you you get on with a company like orange (which is a pretty good gig). They pay OK and the schedule is good. A great stepping stone for bigger and better career moves.

cheers ----
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
David MacRay

Isn’t Ornge a medivac outfit?
TwinOtterFan

Liquid_Charlie wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:06 pm
One license at a time. Out thinking yourself can lead you down the path of spending money you didn't need to. Once you get you commercial you can build up that night time and get paid for it and bonus is that it's all xcountry. This really holds true if you you get on with a company like orange (which is a pretty good gig). They pay OK and the schedule is good. A great stepping stone for bigger and better career moves.

cheers ----
Thunder Bay and flying for Ornge is my bigger and better to be honest, that is where I would like to settle. That is what I was kinda getting at, I assume the FO's can gain those hours towards their ATPL to eventually become a Capt.

I have found that I can pickup a decent little day VFR plane for around 25k especially if you non electric Champ or the like, but adding in the bells and whistles brings the price up for just a time builder. So I was trying to decide if building time at night in my own ac was worth it or not.
Liquid_Charlie

Isn’t Ornge a medivac outfit?
It is indeed and yes I spelled it wrong but I know people who have given up other jobs to go work there because the scheduling and wages are competitive.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
TwinOtterFan

I like what they do, and where they are located. Plus they seem to like veterans their as well.
David MacRay

Is it me or was this bird dog in another state before?

https://www.controller.com/listing/for- ... y-aircraft

I bet there’s a lot of nice stuff on www.planesandboats.com

This is SPARTA!
David MacRay

Ooooo, this is nice. Bummer I can’t afford it.

Pretty yellow airplane

I like picture number 17.
Slick Goodlin

David MacRay wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:40 pm
Ooooo, this is nice. Bummer I can’t afford it.

Pretty yellow airplane

I like picture number 17.
Neat! IIRC that one is just a tad skinnier than a production 707. Something about reusing tooling from the Stratocruiser fuselage to get it built quick before someone pointed out that a couple inches wider would allow the inclusion of a whole extra column of seats, I think. Also IIRC the KC-135 Tankers kept the skinny fuselage. I bet if the Air Force knew how many they’d get and how long they’d keep them they would have just spec’d a modded 707...