Day dreaming about airplanes.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

Big Pistons Forever wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:29 am
Liquid_Charlie wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 10:23 pm

I can also remember desiring a little better performance out of the good old CV44 - just thought I would throw in some big pistons -- :mrgreen:

I guess it boils down to the "eyes of the beholder"
I can remember doing reloads out of Billing’s on a 105 deg F day. Poor old DC 6 could barely manage 300 ft min. Flying under a fortuitously aligned cloud street doubled the climb. Starting in lower powered airplane will develop skills that can be surprisingly useful. :D

Re “eye of the holder” I remember talking to a CF18 driver. He complained that it was a bit of dog in the sandpit when carrying a load of 500 pounders and 3 drops.
I think his idea of “doggy” performance and mine is probably quite different :lol:
You could build a 500 horsepower carbon cub like Mike Patey.

Liquid_Charlie

Where does he get the time and money -- you can't support that on youtube alone
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
TwinOtterFan

I don't know about this guy in particular but I have seen some pretty crazy incomes from YouTube.

I have a small company that does 3d design, 3d printing and laser etching/cutting stuff and we engraved a table for a professional arm wrestler a little while ago and his YouTube income was apparently plus 2M annually.
David MacRay

Liquid_Charlie wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 5:05 pm
Where does he get the time and money -- you can't support that on youtube alone
I believe he makes a bit of money selling Best Tugs.
Nark

The Patey’s have a number of small business. 13 I think.

They do quite well for themselves and are very nice folks. The first to give your their shirt off their back.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
David MacRay

Mike’s fabricating work is incredibly well done.

I personally think Scrappy or even Drago is too much for my taste, but I certainly would love a mildly modified Carbon Cub or Bearhawk Patrol type plane built by him.

Did you see his wife is building a new Carbon Cub?

As for where he gets the time. He just loves to be busy. I don’t think he can sit still.
Slick Goodlin

There’s an Ercoupe on Facebook for under $12k USD right now for anyone looking for cheap wings. You have to be a bit of a weirdo because it has no rudder pedals but I’d be okay with that.
TwinOtterFan

There is one in QC listed for 23k, and I can't remember where but I seen one recently somewhere else for sale and it apparently had rudder pedals.
TwinOtterFan

Dam that is a nice looking bird.