Who does Owner Maintenance

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Liquid_Charlie

Buying across the border can be sketchy. Spending that amount of money you need to spend some more and have the aircraft and books inspected by a canadain engineer. Time to cultivate new friends and contacts if one goes this route ;)

Kit planes are becoming the rage in the US - just look or search the "back country" on you tube. These guys take pride in their work, even if they get the aircraft already assembled. Doing mods and really fine tuning their aircraft is nice to watch. To me that's what recreational flying is all about.

"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Slick Goodlin

Not OM, but I always chuckle when I remember this. There’s this Cub that needed its wheel bearings greased and I didn’t want to pay a mechanic to do it, but no worries because surely a simple operation like that is covered under elementary work. Nope, I guessed wrong. You can switch from wheels to skis and back again under elementary work though, and it’s only prudent to grease bearings while you’re at it. So long story short there’s a Cub in Canada with a logbook that reads, “Wheels removed to install skis, skis not located, wheels greased and reinstalled” - in August!

There is a small amount of stuff an owner can do to their certified plane without an AME sign-off, and it turns out that short list can be just a little bit longer with some creativity.
digits

TwinOtterFan wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:55 pm
Sad thing is it could be a great aircraft just not really sure how to tell.
What was the reason they switched over to owner maintenance in the first place? That's probably a good place to start sniffing around.