Day dreaming about airplanes.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
TwinOtterFan

Well I was still daydreaming about a Kitfox when the insurance company called me to tell me I wouldn't qualify for insurance on one. The lady had me fill out a "projected experience" application for a Kitfox. Basically she asked me to fill it out as if I was done my PPL and tailwheel endorsement so I put something like 70hrs TT, with 15 dual on conventional gear. She told me she was going to put 20 and resubmit it.

How many hours should I expect to dual for my conversion? I know that is a tough question but ballpark what should I expect and write down? Or should I just give up and grab a tricycle for now?

David MacRay

The Calgary Flying Club wants 20 hours before they set you loose on their 7eca. I suspect that number is probably at least partially the insurance companies idea. I’m chipping away at it.
Big Pistons Forever

TwinOtterFan wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:32 am
Well I was still daydreaming about a Kitfox when the insurance company called me to tell me I wouldn't qualify for insurance on one. The lady had me fill out a "projected experience" application for a Kitfox. Basically she asked me to fill it out as if I was done my PPL and tailwheel endorsement so I put something like 70hrs TT, with 15 dual on conventional gear. She told me she was going to put 20 and resubmit it.

How many hours should I expect to dual for my conversion? I know that is a tough question but ballpark what should I expect and write down? Or should I just give up and grab a tricycle for now?
With the current market hull insurance on a tail dragger is probably not worth it for new pilots. I taught 2 PPL’s from zero hours on their own Cessna 120. Both just flew with liability only insurance until after they got licensed and were prepared to eat the cost of wrecking their airplane. That risk made them better students IMO

Since all of their time was tail wheel and on type they had no problem getting insurance after gaining their PPL.
TwinOtterFan

That's a good point, I forgot to ask if it was full coverage or naked. I'm okay with just liability, I read an article recently I think it was from COPA that even suggested doing that if your a new pilot.

I may put that tail dragger thing on hold, can't even find one to train in anyway. BFC's is out of commission and the other flight school nearby that has one doesn't answer the phone. Or call back.

Only option would be to buy one and find an instructor to train me on it.
mcrit

I used to have a 7ECA. Needed 5 Hrs dual from the previous owner for insurance. Owned it for about 10 years. Started with full hull and liability insurance. After about 8 years switched just to liability. By my calculations, about 12 years of hull insurance payments = original purchase price.
David MacRay

Yeah, I miss being naive enough to think the insurance industry was my benevolent friend. They’re in business for the profits. Of it’s not too expensive they might help you out.

Later in this video Paul B talks about the insurance company dealing with a Mooney he was a partner in.

TwinOtterFan

Well I spent the rest of the weekend checking out other possibilities and decided a Citabria, Lacombe, champ or chief would all be decent options and potentially cheaper to insure than Kitfox as well. So dreams may not be completely shut down yet.

I've ridden motorcycles since I was 16 and have always just had liability.

I have watched many of his accident investigation videos but I had no idea he had these other ones, they are great.
David MacRay

Don’t forget Bellanca is part of the ACA family.

Maybe we need to move to Claresholm. Pretty nice little town with a good airport. They even have a FTU. :)

Or Fort McLeod. Tons of wind but they have lots on the Airport that we could buy, build some shacks and a hangar on. Airplanes, horsies, fishing, camping nearby and its windy but quiet airspace.
TwinOtterFan

Okay now your talking, the wife is looking at fishing boats right now, and the whole family loves camping. I did see a Ballanca but forgot to put it down. I would really like stick and rudder over yoke but that won't be a deal breaker.

As for wind, I'm getting used to it, Brampton is rarely calm. Last week I flew circuits for an hour and had three runway changes. I guess that's why they have so those windmills here....

Oh and she wants a horse once we are up north.
David MacRay

The only problem with that much wind is you might end up camping involuntarily after you get blown off course to Saskatchewan in the planes you’re talking about.