Day dreaming about airplanes.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

Slick Goodlin wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:26 am
David MacRay wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:53 am
I’m kind of surprised that hand propping from between the prop and the cabin door is not more common. Seems like a better way to do it.
I’ve tried it and am not a fan. When I prop from in front I can very naturally step away from the plane as I pull the blade through, from behind it almost feels like the motion pulls me forward toward the prop. It may be related to my being a human Sasquatch as I’m also very uncomfortable hand propping anything with a low prop shaft for much the same reason. If the middle of the prop is very far below the middle of my chest I tap out and let someone else do it.

I bet flipping a prop from behind feels really natural to anyone with time in a J-3 on floats.
Fair enough Slick and your height might make the top of the prop seem too close to your head because of the angle of the prop and engine while the plane is tail low.

I might be too feeble to get a good swing with one hand like that fellow in the video I posted. He also uses his left hand to pull himself back as he does it.

I watch many people doing it from the front with both hands and one foot swinging off the ground. That looks sketchy. Seems like it might be easy to lose your balance.

I can remember being shy as a kid about hand propping models. Then I saw Cox made one with a spring you could wind backwards then just pull your hand away. I liked that better bought one but never flew it. A buddy of mine had a thick rubber finger guard. Now you can get battery powered starters. I don’t have one now but have become comfortable with my technique and the way I spin a prop on a model my hand naturally goes away from the prop easy.

CpnCrunch

If you want to fly cheap, there are ultralights and homebuilts. I was talking to a guy last week who is building something for $5k. Don't think I want to fly in it.

As for hand propping: I just make sure I never end up in a situation where I have to do it. I recently overhauled my starting magneto a few hundred hours early as it was crapping out during hot starts, and I replaced my battery as the voltage was getting low even after a full charge. It helps to know exactly how much to prime for cold and hot starts at various temperatures, as it's easy to end up overpriming and wondering why the thing won't start.
TwinOtterFan

I have seen a couple nice ultralights but you can't time build with them, you can with amateur build though. I do like the Kitfox line, always been a fan of them.

The hand propping doesn't deter me, it has been around forever and there is a proper procedure. I'm okay with that.
David MacRay

CpnCrunch wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:57 pm
If you want to fly cheap, there are ultralights and homebuilts. I was talking to a guy last week who is building something for $5k. Don't think I want to fly in it.
I’m well aware that you might be able to get a flying machine of some sort for under $30,000 Canadian but for most of them, I am not sure it’s worth the hassle.

Even a certified plane you have to hand prop will limit me from doing a few things I would like to do with an airplane. Mainly go places near cities. I can’t even fly nordo to my usual home base, CYBW. Without a radio and transponder, you can’t enter class C airspace or cross the border. How am I going to get to the French quarter with a motorized parachute?

The best example of home built planes out there in my opinion, are the high end brands, like Lancair and Vans. I would like to check out an RV-8.

If I won $100,000 I might even do it.
David MacRay

I just found another bummer article about the costs of owning a plane.

https://backcountrypilot.org/knowledge- ... -ownership

Those prices are dollars Americano so add the exchange rate. Well I’m off to look for bargains on www.controller.com.

Huh, adding an engine can’t bring down operating costs.
https://www.controller.com/listing/for- ... n-aircraft
Slick Goodlin

David MacRay wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:06 pm
I’m well aware that you might be able to get a flying machine of some sort for under $30,000 Canadian but for most of them, I am not sure it’s worth the hassle.
I could be reasonably happy forever with a non-electric homebuilt Champ and those can be had for $15k if you have patience and don’t expect to find it listed in the Controller.
digits

David MacRay wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:52 pm
I just found another bummer article about the costs of owning a plane.

https://backcountrypilot.org/knowledge- ... -ownership

Those prices are dollars Americano so add the exchange rate. Well I’m off to look for bargains on www.controller.com.

Huh, adding an engine can’t bring down operating costs.
https://www.controller.com/listing/for- ... n-aircraft
Move to one of the prairies, get your own grass strip runway going, build a cheap barn, put your home built airplane in there and you're set!

Will probably cost you less than a fancy car.
David MacRay

But digits, I don’t have a fancy car. It’s interesting but not fancy and I have less than $5,000 Canadian invested.

Also I hear divorces when you own a house in YYC you planned to sell a little over a decade ago, to buy an airplane and a property to put some sort or small airstrip on, are definitely more expensive than many used C-172s even in today’s market.
Slick Goodlin wrote:
David MacRay wrote: I’m well aware that you might be able to get a flying machine of some sort for under $30,000 Canadian but for most of them, I am not sure it’s worth the hassle.
I could be reasonably happy forever with a non-electric homebuilt Champ and those can be had for $15k if you have patience and don’t expect to find it listed in the Controller.
I should probably hang out with you or assign you to finding one of those.
Slick Goodlin

Finding something specific takes time but if you’re impatient and want cheap wings get a load of this:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-other/edmo ... 1557311085

Being a single seater with folding wings you can pretend you have a carrier fighter. That VW is chock full of cheap parts, it burns about 3 gallons an hour of Mogas, you can keep the whole plane in your garage every winter and being metal you could use a tie down all summer. It’s also in your neighbourhood!
Slick Goodlin

Here’s a pair of ULs for $15k each. That’s mediocre fishing boat money. Pretty sure I’ve seen the red and white job around, or one of the same type, and honestly it seemed like a legit little airplane. Yes, some ethical gymnastics are required to take a passenger in a UL but there’s a couple options there and nothing’s impossible.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-atv-snowmobile- ... 1557744288

The white one IMO is overpriced. Objectively better airplanes have sold in the last year for $6k so I guess the question is how ballsy are you at floating that lowball offer?