Wood Spar Citabria

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
The Dread Pilot Roberts

Good Day, I'm looking at a older 1972 wood spar Citabria this week. Ill be giving it the scratch and sniff test and going over the logbooks and if all goes well Ill be doing a pre purchase inspection with my AME.

I;ve scoured the interwebs and of course you get the hangar talk that ranges from "Replace the Wood with metal or you will die" to "inspect it and go have fun, just don't really yank on it"

From what I can find a new metal spar will set me back 25K USD :shock: Scud bought a Pitts for less than that.
https://www.americanchampionaircraft.co ... ar-wings

Wood Spar Replacement not including labor this is what I came up see link, looks to be about 3K USD of course that doesn't include install.
https://rainbowflying.com/shop?olsPage=t%2Fspars

Im assuming you need to completely refabric the wing after that?

Don't shoot me, I just break em not fix em.
Any ball park estimates or insight if I had to replace the wood spar with wood cost me? Fabric, Labor etc?

Liquid_Charlie

Damn, that's a new aircraft :mrgreen: Made after I learned to fly and even after I started fly for a living -- but

I can remember that age old discussion and in fact they were replacing wood for metal spars back in the late 50's and early 60's.

I think the main issue and clue would be aircraft history, there is nothing wrong with a wooded spar providing the aircraft has been maintained and sheltered. For that money and cost potential I guess the question is why are you wanting that aircraft particular aircraft. There must be better choices out there that do not have money pit written all over them. The resale value is also a major consideration. That alone would eventually force you into replacing the spars.

The "older" aircraft, hobby group has such an exciting potential for great fun and satisfaction. There are so many type choices out there.

cheers

"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Jesus was a carpenter, he approves of wood spars.

Some POH for you.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5262
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
The Dread Pilot Roberts

Not interested in a project. if the fabrics good and the spar checks out. No reason it shouldn’t last a long time, not like I’ll be doing hardcore aerobatics just basic loops and rolls to have some fun.

I can live with the rest and replace a radio.

Just looking for some good “cheap” fun
cgzro

I'd not be afraid of a wood wing if its in great shape and the fabric is in great shape. However I'd run away from any fabric plane with wood or metal spar if the fabric is no good.