NSPM

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

When I was younger, I used to think about the viability of a Not Shitty Puppy Mill (NSPM).

See, we know there are plenty of pilot puppy mills out there, churning out people with
attitude and paper, that struggle to land a light nose wheel trainer in a crosswind and
can't navigate anywhere without a GPS.

But - what if someone ran a Not Shitty Puppy Mill (NSPM) where pilots were actually
taught how to

1) look outside
2) use the rudder pedals
3) navigate with a map using heading and time
4) land in a howling crosswind
5) land in a very short distance on a non-paved surface

I could go on, and on, but you get the idea. Of course they would get paper, but
more importantly, they would accumulate knowledge and skill, which if you get,
make the paper just a formality.

Anyways, think about a Not Shitty Puppy Mill (NSPM). Let me know what you think.
I am too old and tired to undertake such an adventure, and I just don't eat the useless
paperwork with a spoon, the way I used to.

Chuck Ellsworth

Well if you are in Canada T.C. would shut you down because you would not be following their instructional rules.

I know because I had that idea and when they saw what I was trying to do they made it so difficult I kicked their asses off my property and it ended up I decided it was not worth dealing with morons so I closed the school.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

The issue would be finding motivated experienced pilots willing to deal with TC and kids who haven't ever been told no. Next health Canada would be showing up requiring an inception of your safe space mandated in all learning environments.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Chuck Ellsworth

I kicked their asses off my property.
That is a fact.

They were from Ottawa and thought they could intimidate me.

It didn't work because I called the R.C.M.P. and they made them leave because it was my property and they were trespassing.

T.C. does not like me.
anofly

i would come to nspm for refresher....and education!!
Chuck Ellsworth

i would come to nspm for refresher....and education!!
Find a working pilot who likes to teach others, a working pilot who is not a flight instructor so the teaching will be from the real world of aviation, not the T.C. world of aviation.
Slick Goodlin

I used to work for what I deemed an acceptable puppy mill and at least did my part to raise it to NSPM levels, at least for my students. My guys (and gals) routinely did all but (5) but only because there weren’t a lot of opportunities there in our area.

I actually kind of miss instructing and if I was guaranteed to make the cost back I’d renew my rating in a heartbeat.
Chuck Ellsworth

I actually kind of miss instructing and if I was guaranteed to make the cost back I’d renew my rating in a heartbeat.
The biggest problem with instructing for a flight school is you are working for poverty wages.

Whereas teaching outside the flying school allows you to charge what good flight instruction should pay.

I operated a business of advanced flight instruction to licensed pilots and charged 250 Euro per hour.

Did it for decades and had more customers than I could handle.

The customers were by referral and I never spent a Nickle on advertising.

250 Euro is $387.00 Canadian per hour.
Colonel

People here were grumbling about US$100/hr for flight instruction.

I told them, US$200/hr would be a better rate for a competent instructor.

I don't get it. What do tennis pro's and golf pro's charge? And if they screw
up, do you die?

-- EDIT -- found some good golf pro's and what they charge

Butch Harmon - $1,500 per hour
Hank Haney - $15,000 per day
Dave Pelz - $20,000 per day
David Leadbetter - $3,500 for three hours
Sean Foley - $1,000 per hour
Chris Como - $3,000 per half day
Dave Stockton - $600 per hour
Peter Kostis - $500 per hour
Claude Harmon III - $700 per 90 minutes
Slick Goodlin

I’m fantastic at undervaluing myself.

To be fair, the puppy mill paid me on the order of $150/hr. There was just a little nudge-nudge-wink-wink about how many hours were to be worked vs. how many on my time card or else.