JATO Aircraft

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
JW Scud

I think I want one of these, with the music included:

Chuck Ellsworth

Me too.

I want mine without the aileron rudder connected so it would be a real pilots machine.
Liquid_Charlie

Best thing ever for sticky snow - Could have used many times over the ski years

Little trivia - the US military controls the STC on ski equipped hercs and does not share. The reservists did put on some entertaining moments in northern greenland, specifically in Nord. :mrgreen:
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Jeff Rabin

US military controls the STC ... and does not share.
Their unwillingness to share their technology of aircraft in Area 51 has always greatly annoyed me, too.
Nark

Military doesn’t have an “STC”‘a per se. Depending on the service we have an internal process.

Military aircraft aren’t certified. The FAA comes after and does their paperwork.
For the herc, the C130 is a military designation, the L100 is a civilian designation. Mostly the same aircraft.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Todd Hockney

If it's technical data you're after, try an FOI.
Liquid_Charlie

Military doesn’t have an “STC”‘a per se. Depending on the service we have an internal process.
LOL indeed but that's all the terms a civi pilot has --

I believe they don't share this config for the herc for any other military either and it's strictly US military who operate the herc on skis.

Civilian ops does not want a "stubby" and "H" models were the civilian branch. The "J" model will likely not find it's way into civilian ops and the hercs in civilian service have gone from a world wide long distance hauler to a very specific and limited roll. They are a military aircraft and inherently very expensive to operate. Lyden based in Anchorage is likely the world's largest herc operator and South Africans are next. There was at one time 6 operating in Canada with PWA and that went to 2 when NWT got into the biz and finally Bradley and then there was none. When I was flying it circa 2003 we went from hauling aircraft engines to various parts of the world and globe trotting to disaster relief and finally to almost strictly Arctic work supporting the mining industry. It was so much feast or famine and difficult to manage that the aircraft were sold. The impact of the Eastern Europeans entering the market had a very large impact on the adhoc freight biz and alone with not many civilian hercs out there has reduced what was a booming biz starting in the late 70's, with the herc, to practically nothing today in comparison.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Slick Goodlin

That Ercoupe could probably be launched with a big rubber band...
The Dread Pilot Roberts

I got a .8 in an Ercoupe, I didn’t see the JATO switch, also never found the rudder pedals but I’m a shit pilot.
Slick Goodlin

The Dread Pilot Roberts wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:54 pm
I got a .8 in an Ercoupe... never found the rudder pedals
How did you like it? Silly as it sounds a no-pedals Ercoupe is on my bucket list.
The Dread Pilot Roberts wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:54 pm
but I’m a shit pilot.
Don’t worry about it, I’ve been told to my face that I’m the worst.