CYOS 2013

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Wind 230 at 20G32, landing 18 in a buck 50:

With the wind 45 degrees off, that's 0.7 x 20G32 or 14G22 crosswind and headwind components.

Not seeing any aileron into the wind after touchdown, but maybe it was just the camera angle.

Liquid_Charlie

I know it's a small aircraft but in my experience if you get caught and encounter a xwind that exceeds the hand book suggested a wing down approach does not give you enough and you run out of controls. I always crab to the point I scar myself with the proximity to the ground and then kick it straight and hopefully touch down at the same time. If you judged your height well the aircraft should hit the ground at about the point the nose is going trough centre line. The killer in fucked up xwind landings is the drift and hunting for the surface and you usually find yourself drifting sideways, this is what wing down does. Is this the skill set for a private pilot and even with a present day instructor. WTF were they doing flying in that anyway -- damn lucky

I even had this argument with "jet" captains who did wing down on a jet. I would simply as them what they did on a ILS to minimums. Not one used xcontrols so then I would just smile and walk away.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
JW Scud

Crab and kick it out works fine for most GA aircraft that I have flown.
Nark

The Airbus will not let you cross control, because you’re not deflecting an aileron, your commanding a roll rate.

The 321 (biggest I’ve flown) is unique, in that you have to aim for the edge of the runway, crabbing in to the wind. I’m sure the guys flying the widebodies will say the same thing. The main landing gear is that far behind you, your sight picture is very different than in a 152.
I was flying the 182 yesterday in shitty winds alike. 2 of the 3 landings were great. The middle one was horrendous, as I didn’t hold the crab angle and then botched the forward slip. I deserved the critique I got. Then again, no one was dumb enough to be out and about at the airport on such a windy day.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Liquid_Charlie

72-200 was the same, especially on runways less wide and 6000 ft long, floating was just scary so arrivls were better than a float anyday -- haha - we needed nose wheel breaking to land full weight on 6000 ft. One other thing, spoilers, don't forget the spoilers in xcontroling.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Colonel

WTF were they doing flying in that anyway
Exactly. Were they delivering medicine to 100 dying children? Must be my old
age, but I would rather wait a day than wreck an airplane.

Ever notice that photos of an accident in bad wx, are always on bright, sunny days?

Kobe Bryant's helicopter.
WTF were they doing flying in that anyway
Indeed. Millenials won't care, but remember what Chuck says.
Eric Janson

I also use the crab technique with the cockpit over the upwind edge of the runway.

I gently start feeding in rudder at 100' so that when it's time to flare the aircraft is aligned with the runway. A little wing down to stop any drift.

Then flare and land keeping in a little aileron to help directional control.

Works very well.
Chuck Ellsworth

For real pilot skills just google the 747 landing at Rand South Africa.

I was based there for a few months and it was narrow even for the PBY on a gusty X/wind day.