Radial Engine

Flight Training and topics related to getting your licence or ratings.
Nark

I was once witness to an injected-blown lubricated machine. But this was in the Philippines, and it costed a little extra.

Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Chuck Ellsworth

I was once witness to an injected-blown lubricated machine. But this was in the Philippines, and it costed a little extra.
Was it a he or a she? :mrgreen:
Nark

The lights were dark, plus I didn’t ask the preferred pronoun.

I’m going with a firm, I mean real firm, she.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Colonel

DNA test is best.
cgzro

Chuck Ellsworth wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:33 pm
In the over nine thousand hours I operated large radial engines I always counted blades with the mags off and with the mixtures in idle cut off.
I have had several hydraulic locks and the starter clutch always worked....
I never wrecked an engine because the mags were on during the pre start sequence.
Chuck, I only have experience with the little Kinner in the Vintage Wings Finch and while we were taught all about hydraulic lock and pulling through by hand what you describe sounds like a heck of a good idea to do in addition to pulling through by hand. Probably very wise in the gypsy where you can get a fuel lock as part of priming it. I've not seen that discussed in the Kinner/Finch/Tiger/ Fox Moth or Chipmunk POH's.

Peter
Eric Janson

I always heard 2 schools of thought about hydraulic lock.

For the R-1830-92

One was to pull the prop through backwards - opening the exhaust valve to let any pooled oil escape.

The other was the starter clutch disconnect if this is present as Chuck stated.

I do remember the bottom plugs being pulled and the engine run without them - made a mess!

I have rope started an R-1830 using a pickup truck.

I've been told you can even hand prop the R-1830. I believe it but I've never seen it done. Anyone ever done this?
Slick Goodlin

cgzro wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:55 am
Probably very wise in the gypsy where you can get a fuel lock as part of priming it. I've not seen that discussed in the Kinner/Finch/Tiger/ Fox Moth or Chipmunk POH's.
It’s been a long time since I read the Pilot Notes for the Moth but I seem to remember standard starting procedure looking an awful lot like flooding it then backing it off a whole bunch of blades (something like twenty) to clear. I wonder if that ensures a good amount of fuel while also preventing a lock. I think a Gipsy Major would have a hard time filling the bottom cylinders with oil while at rest, IIRC the con rods run in very narrow slots (with raised dams) in the crankcase to prevent such a thing.
Liquid_Charlie

Engineers never trusting pilots made it clear that all round engines were to be rolled through on the starter. We only had direct drive starters and no inertia types.

The 1830-92 (-93 was not) was a pretty easy starting engine and I have actually hand spanked them on for than one occasion, 3 guys worked the best, 2 at the prop one in front and one aft and run with it while 3rd guy managed the flight deck. I traded the rope for a big northern chap -- LMFAAOOOooo

"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
JW Scud

Eric Janson wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:23 am
I always heard 2 schools of thought about hydraulic lock.

For the R-1830-92

One was to pull the prop through backwards - opening the exhaust valve to let any pooled oil escape.

The other was the starter clutch disconnect if this is present as Chuck stated.

I do remember the bottom plugs being pulled and the engine run without them - made a mess!

I have rope started an R-1830 using a pickup truck.

I've been told you can even hand prop the R-1830. I believe it but I've never seen it done. Anyone ever done this?
Isn’t backwards movement the worst thing you can do?
Chuck Ellsworth

In that picture L.C. posted if you look close she is doing it wrong, she has the fingers of her right hand curled around the prop.