Flight Training In the Winter

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Three words:  Florida or California

Your choice - east coast or west coast.

It may surprise you that the Soo and Thunder Bay did not make the Top Ten.

vanNostrum

Or YSH for that matter  8)
Colonel

Indeed.  Look at at this picture and try not to shiver:

No cockpit heat.  None.  And some really shitty pilots, flying biplanes off ice/snow-covered runways.

I think I'll take the dogs to Redondo beach tomorrow:

TC says we're not very good pilots, so maybe I'll spend more time at the beach.
Arlo hates dogs, so I'll post some more pictures of them.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel Sanders wrote: It may surprise you that the Soo and Thunder Bay did not make the Top Ten.
Counter point: it can get too cold to support weather.  Soo is good if Whitefish Bay freezes over and Thunder Bay is great after fall screws off.  Spring can suck quite a bit for a VFR pilot in both.
Colonel

it can get too cold to support weather
I am really hoping I never see proof of that.  Ever.  Again.

It drops below 60F in the morning, I'm whining about the cold.

Slick Goodlin

Colonel Sanders wrote:
it can get too cold to support weather
I am really hoping I never see proof of that.
It builds character.
mcrit

Spend ten years in Manitoba, then you can gripe about the cold.  Otherwise, just shut your cakehole.
Colonel

A few years back, was in Steinbach MB in February (?) to renew my class one instructor
and aerobatic instructor ratings (I did my medical in Quebec Region, and instructor ratings
in PNR, and flew in an ICAS evaluator from Florida every year because Arlo told the Canadian
ICAS evaluators to not sign us off).

It was -33C in MB.  That's ok, except I didn't bring my big coat or boots or scarf or mitts or anything,
and their Pitts was broken, so I flew a Citabria, I think it was, with the metal wing spars.

Anyways, I don't want to live or even visit any place that ever drops below freezing.  Ever.  Again.

In November, I could ride my motorcycle in a t-shirt.  It got cold in December, and I had to wear a jacket
on the Hayabusa.  I'm from Cold Lake (CEPE), but I doubt if I'll ever go back again.
Liquid Charlie

Spend ten years in Manitoba, then you can gripe about the cold.
I still don't find Manitoba that cold - YRB and YEU now that can get fresh. In Manitoba at 40 in the winter it's usually clear and calm where in the high arctic you can have a 40kt blow going on. Good news you can dress for the cold but can only take off so many clothes when it's hot -  >:D but all aircraft break at the magic temp of 40 I walked away from one on the ramp in YK at a balmy 48C - cracked windscreen, 3 flat oleos, leaky prop deals and a cpl flat tires - the bar and the hot rums were good though.
mcrit

Liquid Charlie wrote:
Spend ten years in Manitoba, then you can gripe about the cold.
I still don't find Manitoba that cold - YRB and YEU now that can get fresh. In Manitoba at 40 in the winter it's usually clear and calm where in the high arctic you can have a 40kt blow going on. Good news you can dress for the cold but can only take off so many clothes when it's hot -  >:D but all aircraft break at the magic temp of 40 I walked away from one on the ramp in YK at a balmy 48C - cracked windscreen, 3 flat oleos, leaky prop deals and a cpl flat tires - the bar and the hot rums were good though.
You win.