How's this for a 360?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]With all due respect, I have no doubt that anyone in my particular company could perform this maneuver.  After all, everyone does it a couple times a year in the simulator.  However, in an airline environment, you are paid to mitigate risk.  This, isn't that.[/quote]

You ever flown in Somalia Tundra Tire?

I have and that would be exactly how I would have handled that situation.

[quote]
If I was considering working for you, and found out you condoned this decision making from your pilots, I would respectfully decline.[/quote]

Obviously we have different ideas about how to fly safely and that is no big deal because different pilots have different ideas on what is safe and what is not safe,,then of course And and me may not be in your league as pilots and that is no big deal either.

Liquid Charlie

[quote]With all due respect, I have no doubt that anyone in my particular company could perform this maneuver.  After all, everyone does it a couple times a year in the simulator.  However, in an airline environment, you are paid to mitigate risk.  This, isn't that.
[/quote]

I can't believe you didn't do this type of maneuver at some point, given your nom de plume. I actually think the 72 was one of the nicest aircraft and it circled very nicely. Thrust and attitude is all it takes. Obviously such a thing would not happen except at remote airports. I'm not sure when this video was taken but like I said the possibility of real bullets makes circling back over the ocean  likely preferred to a missed approach straight ahead over the land. It was day and VFR and having had beers with guys who flew in Africa and what went on there I likely would do the same thing. Judging something and someone out of context is never good. Bottom line it was perfectly flown by an experienced captain.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]I'm not sure when this video was taken but like I said the possibility of real bullets makes circling back over the ocean  likely preferred to a missed approach straight ahead over the land.[/quote]

When I was flying in Africa that part of the continent was the most dangerous to fly in, there was only one place we could get affordable insurance coverage to land and that was Djibouti a small country surrounded by Eritrea, Ethopia and Somalia and Somalia was by far the most dangerous.

[quote]It was day and VFR and having had beers with guys who flew in Africa and what went on there I likely would do the same thing. Judging something and someone out of context is never good.[/quote]

Common sense dictates that flying low over the water in a shallow bank 360 is far less risky than circling over land where they can shoot at you.

[quote]Bottom line it was perfectly flown by an experienced captain.[/quote]

Exactly.

It is really concerning to think that some pilots are unable to understand something this basic.
vanNostrum

Two four bars flying together?
Now ,that is dangerous
Colonel

I don't know if I should laugh or cry, when aviation has been dumbed down so far,
that a shallow-bank level turn is considered [i]dangerous[/i].

You want a 360 over the water?  Try this on for size:

Note the outside snap roll at the surface at 0:21

Contrast that, with the attempt of the pride of Air Canada to simply land a Maule at CYSH.

He destroyed it, of course.  I suppose airline pilots think all taildraggers are dangerous now,
too, because they're the Sky Gods Of Aviation, and if they can't do something, no one should try,
vanNostrum

This guys don't seem to mind flying low over water
Colonel

21st Century aviation is so pitiful, it makes me want to cry.

Try [i]1000 mph[/i] in an F-104 at the surface over Primrose Lake.

Wish I had a photo of the rooster tail.

Where I live, AC stands for "Ass Clown", as in "Do you know what those
Ass Clowns did last night at SFO?  Again?"

It's really embarrassing to be a Canadian in the Bay Area.  Thank you,
self-appointed Sky Godsâ„¢ of Canadian Aviation, that can't do a shallow
banked level turn.  Or land at SFO, just up the 101 from me, without
making international headlines.

Or land a Maule.  Or start up a C-421 without spinning the bearings
so bad that both engines need new clamshells.
vanNostrum

Another 360

Colonel

Yeah, that's beyond badass.  I think he's landing with takeoff flap,
which is really hairy - very fast, half way down the runway.

This is my 360 over the runway, which is pretty lame in comparison:

www.pittspecials.com/movies/torque.wmv
vanNostrum

[quote
This is my 360 over the runway, which is pretty lame in comparison:

www.pittspecials.com/movies/torque.wmv
[/quote]
Excellent
I'd love to hitch a ride