Setting up a Flying Club

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
ScudRunner-d95

Lets say I own a company the company has an Airplane perhaps a Piper Warrior.

From a TC legal perspective, would it all be kosher if I was to sell 6 Memberships in a "flying club" for say $5,000 each.
The membership fee would be refundable less an admin fee when the Member decides to move on.
Then charge a monthly membership fee of say $100 to each member to cover, Insurance, Admin, Tie down etc.

Pilots are charged a rate of $75 per hour dry to cover Powerplant/Prop/Paint/Avionics/Tires/Interior etc.

No instruction would be given or allowed on the aircraft.

All Members would be required to have at minimum a PPL and 100 hours (or Whatever the Insurance says)
Aircraft can be taken on extended trips with a minimum flight time per day.

I don't want to sell shares in my company or deal with an OC.
Aircraft maintained to private standards.

Not looking to make money. Moneys collected would go to reserve funds and upgrades to aircraft.

Thoughts??

John Swallow

This from the Kelowna Flying Club:  (their plan could be modified to suit your situation):

Kelowna Flying Club Program: Let's Go Flying!
Fly is well equipped Grumman Tiger for as little as $2240 per year plus Kelowna Flying club membership which includes 12 hours of flight time
Well managed with residuals for engine overhaul and aircraft replacement
On-line booking program, hour, day, or week bookings available
Aircraft is well maintained at commercial standards
Training available to all pilots who have Private pilot permit with an approved by Flying program manager.
Mentorship program available to fly into major airports and mountain flights
Flying program limited to 25 members

The Kelowna Flying Club (KFC) purchased an airplane in 2017 so that its members who hold a minimum of a Private Pilot’s License can renew and maintain their flying skills, learn new ones such as IFR and night time flight, and fly around our stunning mountains and beautiful countryside.

The purchase was made possible by club members who loaned the club $85,000 and who will be paid back over four years with interest. Some 25 members of the club then paid up front for 12 hours of flying that includes maintenance, hangar and insurance costs. The airplane averages around 450 hours per year and members make reservations on our online booking system.

The aircraft is available to non pilots through the KIWI program where members can join the flying program for a minimal amount and pay aircraft costs only to fly. There are designated pilots who have made themselves available to the members.

The Kelowna flying club also has a student program for up to 3 students to join the club and participate in flying the Tiger to build hours. The club has just approved and arranged a bursary program with Okanogan College for one student per year to apply and receive flying benefits.

The plane is managed by a Flying Committee including Chad Gartly, James Sexton, our treasurer, KFC president Dave McElroy, Wayne Heal and Jim Hannibal. Jim has given his invaluable help to the club in purchasing the right airplane, the reservation system, bookkeeping and general rules and regulations.

The airplane, a Grumman AA5B Tiger manufactured in 1979, is kept in a nice warm hangar at Kelowna Airport, so it is available during the winter months on those clear cold days.

Contact Wayne Heal fp@kelownaflyingclub.com or James Hannibal fp@kelownaflyingclub.com for further information.

(Taken from the KFC Website:  http://www.kelownaflyingclub.com/flying-program.html)

Nark1

I have an excel spreadsheet with break downs for a club.

Not sure if it’ll work perfectly for you, but shoot me an email: Chris.reeves@tctaerial.com
ScudRunner-d95

sounds good, ive got a few spread sheets built but more information the better.
David MacRay

The Kiwi program sounds like a cross between a great idea and an illegal chisel charter.

I wonder how the 152 is working at the Calgary flying club. I think it was not going well. Strange because it seemed like a great idea. Inexpensive trainer? I thought that was a winner.
Eric Janson

[quote author=David MacRay link=topic=10019.msg28741#msg28741 date=1568413863]
The Kiwi program sounds like a cross between a great idea and an illegal chisel charter.

I wonder how the 152 is working at the Calgary flying club. I think it was not going well. Strange because it seemed like a great idea. Inexpensive trainer? I thought that was a winner.
[/quote]

I think if you're going to do something like this you need something a little nicer for going places in comfort.
David MacRay

Those were seperate.

I liked the idea of getting people who like to fly in light singles to chip in to ride in them.

Long ago, a fellow I knew says, "You like small plane. Want to go for a ride in one?" Oh, sure. So we go to Calgary Flight Center at YYC and chip in so his buddy could fly us around for a quick city tour. It was fun. I had no idea TC might frown on it. I guess I was not asking him to take me places.

That second part about the 152 rentals was just my typical mumbling. I thought getting a couple of 152s to rent out would be inexpensive and be a great idea but I had heard they were not busy. Maybe they are now.
Nark1

Made me generate a thought:
What is the expectation when someone offers to take you flying?

Do you pay for gas? Throw a $20 or 2 their way?

My personal feeling is: my ability to maintain an aircraft is not based upon shared expenses.  Therefore I usually turn down offers for reimbursement, or gas.  However, occasionally I’ll accept them. 

Is it the former Canadian in me that thinks it’s polite to offer $$$, regardless of acceptance?
Colonel

Life is too short to live it in fear of malevolent and capricious bureaucrats.

But maybe I'm just a far-right Bad Personâ„¢ with poor taste in music, motorcycles and airplanes.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=10019.msg28758#msg28758 date=1568609405]
...poor taste in music, motorcycles and airplanes.
[/quote]
Awful taste.  Why would anyone willingly fly a biplane?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.