We Don't Need No Stinkin' FTU OC / AMO / MCM / PRM

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

[quote]FAA FAR 91.409 (b)

Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no person may operate an aircraft carrying any person (other than a crewmember) for hire, and [b][size=18pt]no person may give flight instruction for hire in an aircraft [u]which that person provides[/u], unless within the preceding 100 hours of time in service the aircraft has received an annual or 100-hour inspection[/size][/b] and been approved for return to service in accordance with part 43 of this chapter or has received an inspection for the issuance of an airworthiness certificate in accordance with part 21 of this chapter. The 100-hour limitation may be exceeded by not more than 10 hours while en route to reach a place where the inspection can be done. The excess time used to reach a place where the inspection can be done must be included in computing the next 100 hours of time in service.[/quote]

That's it.  Two sentences replace [b]all[/b] the bloated bureaucratic
bullshit in Canada for an FTU OC / AMO / MCM / PRM / Audits.

And TC happily accepts FAA pilot certificates produced from
these two simple sentences, under the IPL.

There is no safety issue here.  There is simply bureaucratic
overhead which is taxation.  Canadians love big government
and high taxes, and this sure illustrates the difference.

I know I'm a [i]BAD CANADIAN[/i], but many of the CARs and the
actions of TC seem vulnerable to Charter of Rights challenges.

Slick Goodlin

I have no first hand knowledge but I hear a FAA flight test is a nasty, awful thing.  Something about eight hours of rigorous questioning followed by four hours of doing every conceivable exercise in the plane.  While I’m sure that’s an exaggeration, is that where the FAA makes up for giving a lot more leeway in instruction?
Chuck Ellsworth

I have two FAA licenses and the flight tests and ground tests for both were very in depth and took almost a whole day.
Colonel

Flight tests in Canada and the US are very different.  In the
US, designated examiners have a quota of failures and have
their privileges revoked if they don't maintain it.

I have been told the CFI ride is quite an experience.  I know
that candidates shop around for the right FSDO.
Slick Goodlin

Sounds to me then that the FAA doesn’t care so much about training as long as the ride works out, while TC has provision for really half-assed rides that they make up for in sticking their noses deep into training.

I like easy rides, but I see how the US way allows the opportunity to make a lot more candidates.
Nark1

I have had the pleasure of three..3... flight instructor certificates, which means a checkride for each. 

A lot (don't know the number but a fair amount) seem to fail the initial CFI checkride.  I'm not sure why.  Mine was done by the FAA, the latter two were with a designated examiner.

My latest type rating: oral 2 hours, sim ride 2 hours. 

Still no failures. 
Chuck Ellsworth

T.C. is the biggest detriment to flying training of any regulator I have ever dealt with.

Their attitude towards retired professional pilots teaching is we have to many pre. conceived ideas about how to fly.

I was actually told that by one of their top management.

He was so fucking dumb he couldn't pour piss out of rubber boots if the instructions were written on the soles.

If you are a complete failure in aviation T.C. is the only option left for you.

For sure if you have any talent at all they will not hire you because you would pose a threat to them.

Colonel

Transport Canada is a misnomer.  They ought to be called Pensions Canada.

TC doesn't Transport anything.  What they produce is pensions and benefits.