Speculating on Accidents

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=ScudRunner link=topic=9557.msg27271#msg27271 date=1553225229]
Should pilots and industry professionals wait until the final report from the TSB is published before speculating about the causes of plane crashes?
Flying is a lifelong education, as the saying goes learn from others mistakes as you won’t have time to make them all yourself.
To this point I wonder why it’s a taboo to some in aviation to speculate on causes of crashes?

Let me be clear, I am talking about educated speculation not just off the cuff random thoughts.

Is it wrong to speculate about accidents ?
[/quote]

According to the other site, from what I've seen.

Yes, horrible unprofessional if it's Big Red.  Keep mouth zipped.

Anyone else? Fire away. 

Liquid Charlie

I guess it's like the rest of the world. Why would you speculate if you are an official body and open yourself to liability. The guy with the most lawyers will have more control. There is no way in this day and age you will get more that obvious information because of liability issues. Companies will be always trying to delay public disclosure so they can possibly prevent court action of try and reduce it. The Dryden crash most passengers took a pay out and those who didn't waited over 10 years for their settlement.

Speculate all you want but don't expect the system to change. We have created that situation and no we complain about it. Te recent 73 max is just a prime example speculation running wild. Strip the levels away and it's pretty simple. The crew fucked up and killed a shit load of people. That's the black and white version ( is that a raciest comment?) but today it is now many shades of grey in between .  The crew will turn into victims but other crews had the same issues and dealt with them.

Most of the comments about accident investigation are coming from a group that are aviation virgins and ideally remain that because going through a major accident is not the best of times for anyone. Bad day for the victims but long and agonizing for colleagues and family. Part of the process for accident investigation is that all the victims families are provided with a copy for comment prior to public release. These are also translated into their first language and depending on numbers you can imagine the time delay to receive input on the report prior to public release. I think most of the issues with the TSB is ignorance of the system, like most "speculation" on the internet.
Colonel

Not sure why people care about shit that doesn't matter.

Am I a BAD PERSONâ„¢ because I don't give a fuck about downvotes from morons?

Remember, half of the world has double (or single) digit IQ.  If you don't have
an IQ of at least 135 (top 1%) I'm probably not very interested in your opinion.

Sorry if that hurts people's feelings.  I have worked with people much, much
smarter than 1/100.  1/10,000 gets you in the door.  1/100,000 is better.

I only care what smart people think.  I know, I know, I'm a BAD PERSONâ„¢
because I don't take lessons from stupid people.

Got the TC rhetoric, 5 x 5.