Ear Plugs

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
vanNostrum

Any experience with ear plugs
to relieve discomfort due to changes in air pressure
while flying ?

Slick Goodlin

You’d need a hell of an earplug to guard against pressure differential, no?

I had heard somewhere that clever mothers nurse their infants during climb and descent because it helps keep the little one’s ear passages open and prevents discomfort (and a whole lot of crying).  Meanwhile, I’ve just been chewing gum for that like an idiot.
John Swallow

Ear plugs neither help nor hinder problems with air pressure on climbs or descents.

During ascent, air in the inner ear will easily escape via the eustachian tube to equalize pressure.  During descent, the tube has to be opened to allow the reverse to occur either by jaw manipulation, chewing gum, Valsalva manoeuvre, or by nursing.  :)

vanNostrum

There are ear plugs with a pressure regulator that smooths out
the variation of air pressure  EarPlane is a brand that gets good reviews
Occasionally I do the Valsava maneuver but with caution
Yawning helps some times
Nark1

John covered it well.  Your eustachian tube is what equalizes ear pressure.  Blocking the backside doesn’t save you from your inner ear and throat.

I wear a CEP’s while flying choppers, which is a molded ear plug with a mini speaker(basically).  Great for hearing protection, horrible for ear pressure balance. I often have to clear my ears (Valsalva) because it makes such a great seal.  I chew gum a lot, which helps. 

Sorry dude, find a nursing mother, or buy stock in Wrigley’s.
Colonel

I found simply practice to be the way to learn to clear your eustachian tubes (ears).

Comes in handy in the vertical uplines and downlines (10,000 fpm).
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]I had heard somewhere that clever mothers nurse their infants during climb and descent because it helps keep the little one’s ear passages open and prevents discomfort ([/quote]

Perfect, bring your girl friend or wife with you to nurse on to clear your ears.
cgzro

If I have get stuffed up I will chew gum while doing acro.  Ear plugs would make things worse.
Eric Janson

You can also use a spray in the back of your throat - cabin crew use this a lot.

The best seems to be a Eucalyptus nasal spray.

If I have a cold me decision to fly is determined by whether I can clear my eustachian tubes.
vanNostrum

Thanks I ll try that