What should a new pilot be paid?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

When a person receives a commercial pilots license that is a document that says said person meets all the knowledge and flying skills level to safely fly as a commercial pilot and be employable.

So what should be the minimum yearly pay this individual should receive?

It is a genuine question that hopefully will get some discussion going here on this forum.

Nark1

$20/ duty hr. 

Flight time pay is ludicrous.  The amount of hours you are making the company money, while on the ground should be paid.

$20 is a low average starting wage for a plumber. We are on equal footing, as far as our professional experience.
Chuck Ellsworth

Here is an interesting thing I found on google.

[quote]
The full-time earnings for truck drivers were between $35,000 and $50,000 in 2014, according to Living in Canada. The median hourly pay is $18. ... The Glassdoor.com website posts an average truck driver salary in Canada of $46,880, based on a survey of 529 drivers.[/quote]
David MacRay

What is a truck driver?

I drove a truck delivering drywall for 5 or 6 dollars less than one I drove full of diesel fuel. Plus I did not have to carry any diesel fuel up or down stairs.
Liquid Charlie

[quote][size=10pt]When a person receives a commercial pilots license that is a document that says said person meets all the knowledge and flying skills level to safely fly as a commercial pilot and be employable.
[/size][/quote]

There is the issue, they actually don't have the required skills and the operators pounce on this and exploit them whilst breaking their cherries. Pilots also created the "training bond" generation due to job hopping. I also think most operators inflate training costs.

So what is the answer, likely somewhere in between to the ego of the new commercial pilot and the greed of the operators. There is also the hangover attitude that you can treat your F/O's like shit. There are a lot of people in aviation that are stuck in the past and the total irony is that it rubs off on the new generations. When I see the new, supposedly "educated" F/O turn into a complete asshole when he achieves that command seat I have to question where the system is failing. It blows me away.

Trey Kule

Pay them?  Pay them!

The entitled little snots need to first spend two years as a rampie to learn humility and respect for those who have ascended to the lofty world of the flight deck.

There they can learn the essential skills necessary to earn the privelege to warm the right seat.  Skills like living on minimum wage.  Working OT for nothing.  Ignoring CARs when it costs the company money.  How to siphon gas,  fix a tire with a nail.  Knick commissary, snd backstab your buddies to get ahead.  How to  Swagger , and perfect telling of stories about flying in ice.These are the essentials first  officer skills and all should be learned before ever being given a flight crew position.  No one at a flight school is going to teach them.
There will be enough to learn when they get a pilot position.  How to sit on your hands,  Advanced first aid for broken fingers , removal of radio knobs, and how to remove duct tape from the mouth.
How to ignore defects and using invisable ink to record snags.

I see absolutely no reason to pay them...they are building hours andgaining experience.

David MacRay

Trey is a monster. I look after my guys. I pay 500.
Napoleon So Low

It's "privilege", not "privelege".

Other than that I couldn't find anything wrong with your post.  8)
Colonel

Many flight instructors would have loved to have been paid
minimum wage when they were starting out, but that's not
how it's done.

You pay people sh1t and abuse them, don't whine when they
jump ship the first chance they get.

Why does aviation think it's above the law and doesn't need
to pay [u]legal minimum wage[/u]?  Those are three pretty simple
words.  Not hard to understand.
David MacRay

Same reason Electrical contractors used to refuse to pay time and a half for overtime. Because guys were willing to do it.

Some of them even had you sign contracts that stated you were willing. It did not mean anything but most people thought it did.

On occasion if someone went to the labour board and there was an investigation everyone at the company got paid the money owed that year. That was the best.