Aircraft Piston Engines

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote][font=Verdana]Next time, we discuss why you should wear three condoms,[/font][/quote][font=Verdana]

That would be to much work for me because I have to use a tire iron to put them on.[/font]

digits

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=8669.msg23860#msg23860 date=1530748049][font=verdana]

That would be to much work for me because I have to use a tire iron to put them on.[/font]
[/quote]

Because your nuts are rusty and seized?
Colonel

[quote]nuts are rusty and seized?[/quote]

It happens.  I was doing a brake job on my AME's car
(really) and his lug nuts were so rusted and seized, I
had to jump up and down on my two foot breaker bar
to break them free.  When they did, sparks and smoke
came from the nuts.  Wish I took a video, I didn't believe
it at first.

Me enthusiastically leaning on a two foot breaker bar is
approaching 500 ft-lbs of torque, btw.

As you might imagine, I teased him about this new-fangled
copper anti-seize stuff you can buy ....  ;D
Chris

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=8669.msg23906#msg23906 date=1530942222]
[quote]nuts are rusty and seized?[/quote]

It happens.  I was doing a brake job on my AME's car
(really) and his lug nuts were so rusted and seized, I
had to jump up and down on my two foot breaker bar
to break them free.  When they did, sparks and smoke
came from the nuts.  Wish I took a video, I didn't believe
it at first.

Me enthusiastically leaning on a two foot breaker bar is
approaching 500 ft-lbs of torque, btw.

As you might imagine, I teased him about this new-fangled
copper anti-seize stuff you can buy ....  ;D
[/quote]

I've had to do that a few times back in my tire monkey days. On Volvos, weirdly enough (they use the German style lug bolts, rather than nuts). Gun wouldn't budge the lugs so I had to do the same thing. I'm amazed they didn't snap right off.

A little off topic, but there's something that's always been a bit of a brain teaser for me. We all know that engines that sit around a lot tend to die an early death from internal corrosion unless they receive some special care (camgaurd, engine dehydrator, pickling, etc). I don't own an airplane so I can't give any first hand experience, but I do own one thing that sees a similar sort of usage: A boat. Sits for months without running, goes out for a few hours, sits for a few more weeks, goes out again... And when it's not running it's sitting in the water. Hard to get a more humid environment than that (granted it's fresh water so not as terrible as salt but still not exactly Arizona).

Why is it that an aircraft engine's cam will rust and come apart within a few years when my 30 year old boat engine is still chugging along quite happily?
Colonel

Is it an old two-stroke with the blue exhaust?

I have always been suspicious of the heat treating that
Lycoming uses for surface hardening.  Cylinders are a
good example.  They seem to be more prone to corrosion.

Main problem I have with engines that don't run much
is the fuel getting gummy.  Seafoam rocks.  That red stuff
is nice, but ...
Chris

5.0 Merc inboard, based on a Chev 305 engine.
Colonel

Oh yeah, I remember the Chevy 305.  A 350 with decreased bore
but the same stroke.  Never understood why GM did that.  A much
better idea is to keep the same bore as the 350 and increase the
stroke from 3.48 inches to 3.75 inches (400 crank) to make a 383,
which ought to be well over 400 hp.

Or, you could take two cylinders in an L configuration with the
4 inch bore of the 350, decrease the stroke to 2.5 inches, put
gear-driven DOHC cams on it with four valves per cylinder, and
you would end up with this at 10,000 RPM:

[img width=500 height=333][/img]
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=8669.msg23913#msg23913 date=1530998097]
Oh yeah, I remember the Chevy 305.  A 350 with decreased bore
but the same stroke.  Never understood why GM did that.
[/quote]
Homologation for TransAm racing.
Colonel

Chev 305 appeared in the "bad years" - small bore, long stoke
to keep the left-wing people happy in the 80's with shitty engines,
when Al Gore's wife tried to ban Rock & Roll (seriously), like
something from the script of a stupid TV movie with Kevin Bacon.

[url=https://www.nytimes.com/1988/01/04/arts ... -rock.html]https://www.nytimes.com/1988/01/04/arts ... -rock.html[/url]

I think you're referring to the completely different Chev [b]302[/b],
which had the 4.0 inch bore of the 327/350 but the short 3.0
inch stroke crankshaft of the 283.  Famously used in the 60's Z/28
which was a Trans Am series car.  Highly modified, of course.  They
acid-dipped the body to make it super light weight.

[quote]When the journal size increased to the standard large-journal size, the crankshaft for the 302 was specially built of tufftride-hardened forged 1053-steel and fitted with a high-rpm 8.00 in (203.20 mm) diameter harmonic balancer.

It had a 3/4-length semi-circular windage tray, heat-treated, magnafluxed, shot-peened forged 1038-steel 'pink' connecting rods, floating-pin in `69, forged-aluminum pistons with higher scuff-resistance and better sealing single-moly rings.

Its solid-lifter cam, known as the "30-30 Duntov" cam named after its 0.030 in (0.76 mm)/0.030 in hot intake/exhaust valve-lash and Zora Arkus-Duntov (the first Duntov cam was the 0.012 in (0.30 mm)/0.018 in (0.46 mm) 1957 grind known as the '097, which referred to the last three digits of the casting number) the "Father of the Corvette", was also used in the 1964-1965 carbureted 327/365 and fuel injected 327/375 engines.

It used the '202' 2.02 in (51.31 mm)/1.60 in (40.64 mm) valve diameter high-performance 327 double-hump `461 heads, pushrod guide plates, hardened 'blue-stripe' pushrods, edge-orifice lifters to keep more valvetrain oil in the crankcase for high-rpm lubrication, and stiffer valvesprings. In 1967, a new design high-rise cast-aluminum dual-plane intake manifold with larger smoother turn runners was introduced for the Z/28

In 1969, the 302 shared the finned cast-aluminum valve covers with the LT-1 350 Corvette engine. Conservatively rated at 290 hp (SAE gross) at 5800 rpm and 290 lbâ‹…ft at 4800, [b]actual output with its production 11:1 compression ratio was around 376 hp[/b] with 1.625 in primary x 3.00 in collector Sanderson tubular headers that came in the trunk when ordered with a 1967 Z/28, and associated carburetor main jet and ignition timing tuning[citation needed].

In 1968, the last year for factory headers, they had 1.750 in primaries x 3.00 in collectors. A stock 1968 Z/28 with the close-ratio transmission, optional transistorized-ignition and 4.88 gear, fitted with little more than the factory cowl plenum cold-air hood induction and headers, was capable of running [b]12.9 second/108 mph (174 km/h) 1/4-mile times on street tires[/b].[/quote]

and what shitty tires they were.  Skinny bias-ply IIRC.  You wouldn't put them
on your lawn mower, today.

Factory headers in the trunk.  The good old days, back when my Uncle Pete
was the Chev/Olds/Cadillac dealer in King City, north of Toronto.
Colonel

Yet another, long-gone and forgotten shitty engine ... Chev [b]307[/b].

1968-1973.  Bore 3.875 inches with a 3.25-inch stroke,
kind of a low-rent 2bbl 350.

If you watch closely at Gary Cole's Chevelle, you can see it
has the humble 307 fender badge in the Ricky Bobby movie.

But people slap SS badges on Chevelles, Z/28 emblems on
Camaros, and AMG stickers on Mercedes and think they're
fooling everyone.