What is your all time favorite airplane?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

The DC3 is hands down the nicest handling airplane ever made and you will love it.

I have over five thousand hours on them with a lot of off airport ski time.

All you need to do is get the sight picture of the height above the runway for touch down and the rest is easier than a J3 Cub.

Trade dual in the Pitts for DC3 time and the rating will take very little time.

The guys at Chino are not in it for money, they already have enough of that.

The 104 it the most awesome sounding thing that ever flew.

Fendermandan

Currently my 172M. Why? because it is weird one. it has wonderfull and light control response and it had nice sounding engine that lasted a long time. Now it has new gen lycoming and it sounds the same as all them.

On my to-fly list this summer is extra 300 and maybe next year if they are in business GB1
[img]Forum/blob:http://scudrunners.com/15c16 ... c22a3d1445[/img]
[img]https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/upl ... 1437679733[/img]
[url=http://www.gamecomposites.com/]http://www.gamecomposites.com/[/url] improved extra  :D  . If GB1 doesnt pan out than I would like to fly this

[img width=500 height=250]https://www.ainonline.com/sites/default ... g_0643.jpg[/img]

Colonel

Extra 300 is a nice airplane.  Exquisite ailerons.  Really
weird fuel system.

If you are passing through Tennessee, go see Steve Johnson -
he's pushed the paper to legally give instruction on the MX2
which is an incredible monoplane, tell him I said "hi".

[url=http://www.stuntplane.com/index.html]www.stuntplane.com/index.html[/url]

Steve is a really good stick and a great instructor.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=8601.msg23947#msg23947 date=1531278756]
Checking yourself out solo can become addictive.  I can't list the number of weird and wonderful antique, homebuilt and warbird types I've checked myself out in ... and then instantly, I am the "expert" (WTF?!)
[/quote]
I don't have the depth of experience that you do (and I mean that genuinely and not as some passive-aggressive BS) but I too have learned to check myself out and have weirdly been labelled some kind of expert in flying airplanes as a result.  It hasn't even been in complicated airplanes, just dead-simple singles with fixed gear and usually gravity-fed fuel.  Zero rocket science, somehow I'm awesome.  So strange.
Colonel

Learn the systems. 

Look outside when you wiggle the flight controls so you can gauge the response.

... and you're a Genius!

My favorite is surface acro during solo self-checkout in a new type.

Easy as pie.  Get it going fast over the runway in ground effect, all
the knobs in, over the threshold at the opposite end put +4G's on
it, pull through the vertical, keep the G positive but gentle, and spiral
from a shallow inverted downline to upright, just like the second half
of an aileron roll, letting the nose fall to a 45 downline or thereabouts,
and pull level at the surface again.

Easy-peesy.  I really don't get what the big deal is.
Fendermandan

Ha Nashville. I took my c172 last summer there and was parked at John Tune for a few days. My tech dealer is from there and they calibrate annualy the thermal aerial survey system. Will be there again probably in Sept good opportunity to spoil myself with MX2.

Funny story: so i called the uber to pick me up at John Tune airport. The driver shows up wih the brand new bmw all shiny and spiffy. I just thought what a nice surprise. As we are driving to hotel, I asked him if he had trouble finding the pickup location at the FBO. He replied "nope, my father has 3 personal jets parked in one of the big hangars". So he tells me the name of his father and unfortunately forgot the name, but he is a country music poducer or something. Anywho, his faher got fed up with the young dude doing nothing and spending money in LA so he made him move back to Nashville and find work.
Liquid Charlie

Don't think I have an absolute favourite, seems the  flying associated with type had a lot to do with the endorphin level. I got a lot of enjoyment out of the B72 but not so much with the B73 . I loved the 727 because you were still able to grab it a fly it and the speed range was amazing 350 kts in the down wind and back to approach and landing turning a mile final, now that created a big shit eating grin.

I too am a high time DC3 pilot but it's certainly below the B18 on my list, my highest time AC would be the 748 and it went some amazing places with that old girl. Greenland, [color=rgb(34, 34, 34)][font=arial][size=small]Spitsbergen, North Pole (on the ice) and silly season in YRB - The old hawker would be in 3rd or 4th position. The aircraft with the most love/hate relationship was the whoredyne -- I was never much of a De Havilland fan, didn't like the beaver, otter and just tolerated the 2 otter.
David MacRay

I particularly liked this.

[quote]I really worry about aviation getting dumbed down so much,
Chuck, that you need a checkout from an FTU instructor if
you want to fly a 172N and you have 1,000 hours in 172M's.
[/quote]

Here's why. I have mostly flown the 172N. Yesterday I flew 1.3 hours of dual I should have flown in November. In, wait for it.... A 172M, gasp!

Renters must be getting pretty bad, I received compliments on my fliying and he kept saying how surprised he was, since I had not flown since October. I even abused the yoke during my power on stall attempt. Funny how quick it goes the wrong way when you try to pick up a wing. Too much car driving, not enough 172 flying.

It gets worse.

A few decades ago, last century in fact, as a student I sometimes flew a 172Q, I have never seen the inside of the POH for it. I did a check on type in a Warrior II and kind of liked flying them back when I used to fly several hours every month.

One day a few years later I was at a different FTU that only had cessnas. My instructor says, I already did the walk around and filed a flight plan, lets go. Ok, that's odd but what ever. We get in the 172N and go to Red Deer. Nice, a little cross country for a change. On the way he informs me we are going to pick up a plane, you're going to fly it back. Ok, a little cross country solo, even better. We get to Red Deer and he says "Here's the keys, there's the plane I have to get back, are you good?"

I was flying regularly so of course.

I go walk around the plane with a pretty new paint job in the same scheme as the brand new 172s they had just started building. This was around 1996. It wasn't a new one it turned out to be an older one. Had the big throttle knob, different rudder pedals and a funny flap switch.

I flew it to CYYC because there used to be FTUs there, even though the one I got my PPL at used to warn me not to fly there because "The controllers were mean and did not like flight training."

I didn't know better, and without warning I accidentally checked myself out on the oldest C-172 I have ever flown.