"No history of incidents or accidents...." (in Aviation job ads)

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Liquid Charlie

Unless t was a major accident I'm not sure how anyone could find out what your actual history was. Insurance, maybe, maybe google today but most "official" records are restricted. You might as well lie because the out come is the same if you are caught but if you don't you have a job. Pretty simple.

Colonel

I’d hire this guy

Not much of a stick compared to a four bar, though.
Eric Janson

[quote author=Liquid Charlie link=topic=8402.msg23247#msg23247 date=1525884314]
Unless t was a major accident I'm not sure how anyone could find out what your actual history was. Insurance, maybe, maybe google today but most "official" records are restricted. You might as well lie because the out come is the same if you are caught but if you don't you have a job. Pretty simple.
[/quote]

These same companies want to see a Licence verification letter from the CAA of the country that issued your Licence.

This will list whether you have had any incidents/accidents but no details will be given.
JW Scud

A BA 777 captain had both engines cut out on him at about 700 feet. He was said to have prevented a disaster by extending the glide by a couple of hundred feet by retracting the flaps from 30 to 25 thereby avoiding an antenna array. He wasn't happy with how he was treated at BA so decided to quit and take his chances somewhere, anywhere that had 777's. None would hire him with the Asian "no accident/incident history" airline not wanting him because of his accident.
Eric Janson

[quote author=JW Scud link=topic=8402.msg23282#msg23282 date=1526185542]
A BA 777 captain had both engines cut out on him at about 700 feet. He was said to have prevented a disaster by extending the glide by a couple of hundred feet by retracting the flaps from 30 to 25 thereby avoiding an antenna array. He wasn't happy with how he was treated at BA so decided to quit and take his chances somewhere, anywhere that had 777's. None would hire him with the Asian "no accident/incident history" airline not wanting him because of his accident.
[/quote]

He later was able to rejoin BA and keep his seniority. Good decision by all involved.
Kartoon

That's a pretty good example of how stupid a bold statement like "No accident or incident history" can be though...

[size=1]For the record, so far I don't have any and I'm not looking for a job.[/size]
TundraTire

[quote author=Kartoon link=topic=8402.msg23289#msg23289 date=1526222235]
That's a pretty good example of how stupid a bold statement like "No accident or incident history" can be though...

[size=0.7em]For the record, so far I don't have any and I'm not looking for a job.[/size]
[/quote]

Also a good example of how generalizing statements talking about the ineptitude of "four bars" is rather unintelligent as well.....
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=TundraTire link=topic=8402.msg23290#msg23290 date=1526230372]
Also a good example of how generalizing statements talking about the ineptitude of "four bars" is rather unintelligent as well.....
[/quote]
I dunno, I’m a four bars and can’t be too bright because at the moment I’m trying to strip one of those bars off.
Colonel

I keep explaining this, but ...

Back in the day, an airline pilot used to be a skilled professional,
with a solid background and a wide skillset and good decision making,
because [i]he had to[/i].

As time went by, all those guys are gone, and we are left with guys
that just wear the uniform.

You know.  Four bars.

Today's princesses would all be dog food if they tried this:

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hump]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hump[/url]

Shit, you turn off the ILS and they're scattering tin
all over the countryside.

Chuck Ellsworth

Austin Airways operated a scheduled airline service from Timmins Ontario all the way up to Cape Dorset in the NWT with a lot of the villages having only ice strips in the winter.

We seldom saw an ILS as almost every aid was the NDB and the runway lighting was flare pots that were lit by the village before we got there.

We flew tens of thousands of hours with very few incidents or accidents.

And the pilots had to do all the ground work such as putting on and removing wing covers and pre heating the engines with a Herman Nelson which took a long time some days.

When we were out of range of an NDB we used the Astro compass for track guidance if we could get above the cloud layer which generally was not to difficult in the Arctic.

How many Airline pilots work that hard these days?