"No history of incidents or accidents...." (in Aviation job ads)

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Kartoon

Every once in a while I see aviation job ads looking for pilots were they mention:
"-No history of incidents or accidents"
Just curious, what about people who were involved in something that wasn't their fault!? They get screwed up/Can't apply?

Guys like Sully or Bob Hoover would be dismissed.
Not that they would have ever applied in this kind of outfit but....See what I mean?

Colonel

Just HR boilerplate.  Don't pay any attention.

Apply if you want the job.
Alcoholism

I know of a few chaps at AC who were hired after having a mishap or 2 prior, but they had a degree, so that makes them exceptional pilots.  Seems like AC is trying to make an accident happen someday.
Liquid Charlie

[quote][size=4] [font=verdana]Seems like AC is trying to make an accident happen someday.[/font][/size][/quote]

That seems to be a large leap! An accident does not necessarily classify you as a poor pilot. In most cases it makes you a far better one.
Colonel

Not sure you need to bend tin to learn,
but I hope that people that do bend tin
do learn from it.  I would not be surprised
if they did not, however.
TundraTire

You're 2 for 2 today "Alcoholism"!

Good trolling!
Chuck Ellsworth

Each accident must be judged on the cause of the accident.

If a mechanical failure was the cause and it happened to be beyond the control of the pilot to prevent it that can not be used against said pilot.

If the accident was deliberate chance taking or reckless operation of the aircraft then of course it can be used against said pilot.
Liquid Charlie

Of course there are pilots out there that leave a litter of twisted metal behind them and others who just drive it in through stupidity. The other sign of the coin are those who might have a brain fart or unfortunate circumstances or a combination of both. If they survive and learn from their experience they are likely a better pilot for it. Would one consider something like a hard landing, ground loop or scrapped wing for a inexperienced pilot of less that 100 hours a career stopping issue? I wouldn't but that's me, others might not.

The one unfortunate thing is, as I am I find myself in this week, firing someone because they are not meeting standards. The pilot failed to make satisfactory standards, mostly due to attitude, but will be free to find other pilot employment in the industry with the possibility of tragic consequences. Unless their potential new employer calls for a reference there are no other checks in place. This situation is far more serious that a minor brain fart and a scuffed wind tip.
Eric Janson

[quote author=Kartoon link=topic=8402.msg23220#msg23220 date=1525767110]
Every once in a while I see aviation job ads looking for pilots were they mention:
"-No history of incidents or accidents"
Just curious, what about people who were involved in something that wasn't their fault!? They get screwed up/Can't apply?

Guys like Sully or Bob Hoover would be dismissed.
Not that they would have ever applied in this kind of outfit but....See what I mean?
[/quote]

You are correct - even if it is not your fault - you won't be hired.

You see this a lot in the Middle East and Asia.

The Worlds a big place with plenty of companies - not all have this mindset.
Slick Goodlin

Looking at the definition of 'incident' shows it's pretty broad:
[list]
[li]an engine fails or is shut down as a precautionary measure,[/li]
[/list][list]
[li]a power train transmission gearbox malfunction occurs,[/li]
[/list][list]
[li]smoke is detected or a fire occurs on board,[/li]
[/list][list]
[li]difficulties in controlling the aircraft are encountered owing to any aircraft system malfunction, weather phenomena, wake turbulence, uncontrolled vibrations or operations outside the flight envelope,[/li]
[/list][list]
[li]the aircraft fails to remain within the intended landing or take-off area, lands with all or part of the landing gear retracted or drags a wing tip, an engine pod or any other part of the aircraft,[/li]
[/list][list]
[li]a crew member whose duties are directly related to the safe operation of the aircraft is unable to perform their duties as a result of a physical incapacitation which poses a threat to the safety of persons, property or the environment,[/li]
[/list][list]
[li]depressurization of the aircraft occurs that requires an emergency descent,[/li]
[/list][list]
[li]a fuel shortage occurs that requires a diversion or requires approach and landing priority at the destination of the aircraft,[/li]
[/list][list]
[li]the aircraft is refuelled with the incorrect type of fuel or contaminated fuel,[/li]
[/list][list]
[li]a collision, a risk of collision or a loss of separation occurs,[/li]
[/list][list]
[li]a crew member declares an emergency or indicates an emergency that requires priority handling by air traffic services or the standing by of emergency response services,[/li]
[/list][list]
[li]a slung load is released unintentionally or as a precautionary or emergency measure from the aircraft, or[/li]
[/list][list]
[li]any dangerous goods are released in or from the aircraft.[/li]
[/list][list]

[li][/li]
[/list]