Asiana Vs AC.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=JW Scud link=topic=8400.msg23275#msg23275 date=1526172236]

The Asiana pilots demonstrated what can happen if you don't follow a basic flying skill, a skill required to be allowed to do your first solo, monitor your airspeed.
[/quote]

A basic flying skill is aiming to land on the  landing surface.  Thousands of other flights  clearly had zero issue doing so at SFO.

Chuck Ellsworth

[code] Sure, there are things that they could have done to prevent this but visual illusions can catch any one of us and don't think that it can't.[/code]

I have thought about this for a while and I do not recall ever having a visual illusion that interfered with a flight, especially during the landing phase of flight.

Maybe it is an Air Canada thing caused by crews flying so tired they fell asleep?

Then maybe I just did not fly enough hours in the air to have been exposed to " visual illusions ' ?
Colonel

For longer than anyone here has been alive, pilots have
been landing on the wrong runway/taxiway/airport.  This
is not some exotic new phenomenon that the geniuses at
AC have discovered, it's just the result of being lazy and
sloppy.

[quote]catch any one of us and don't think that it can't[/quote]

Funny, I've been flying for over 40 years and it hasn't
happened to me yet.

Harrison Ford made this mistake, and all the four bars on
AvCan wanted to fry his ass.  Unforgivable, we were told.

The four bars make this mistake, well, "it could happen to
anyone".

What hypocritical bullshit from a bunch of prima donnas.
The double standard is nauseating.

13.5 feet.  Think about that for a while.

EDIT -- I can think of two nasty accidents off the top of
my head, four bars [i]taking off[/i] on the wrong runway.
Chuck Ellsworth

The scary thing about this Air Canada total fuck up was there are two pilots flying these airplanes and both of them were somewhere else and totally out of the loop right down to the last seconds of that VFR approach.

I have real worries about anyone trying to make excuses for such lack of attention to their duties.

We can blame the culture at Asiana for the way they fly, what excuse is there for Air Canada?
Rookie Pilot

The culture thing is a red herring too.

Everyone says all the Asian airlines are dangerous because of this, while AC and WJ are the safest in the world.

How many accidents has Cathay had, again?