Airline executive pay.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

Someone on Avcanada is all worked up about the high pay airline CEO's make and the poor pay he gets as a pilot.

Are pilots really that ignorant of the industry they are in?

I would like to tell him it is really simple, all he needs to do is tell his company he wants to be a CEO.

Jesus it never fails to amaze me how dumb some people really are.

Well here is an example of just how dumb some of them really are.

[quote]Remember, you don’t get paid what you are worth, you get paid what you negotiate.[/quote]

Colonel

Generally the higher you are up in the ranks of a profitable
corporation, the less important your salary is, and the more
important your company stock grants are.  Many CEO's have
been famously paid $1 per year, and are compensated
entirely by the value of the company shares.

Some data points:

Mark Zuckerberg is worth more than US$70 Billion
Jeff Bezos is worth more than US$120 Billion

If someone wants money money money, they are unlikely
to find it at the front of an airplane.  An odd path to
choose, to mega-wealth.

Why don't they start a wildly successful company instead?

Choose the company carefully.  I learned in the NASDAQ
boom of the 90's that the secretary of a successful company
earned far more than a brilliant genius at a failing company.
Nark1

The CEO of my airline makes just a little bit more, in terms of salary alone, as say the top paid pilot. ($50,000 perhaps)

As Col sanders pointed out, the $6 million disparity is in the stock/options etc..
Colonel

Under the watch of man Canadians love to hate (Trump)
the Dow went from 20,000 to 25,000 in [b]one year[/b].

That's incredible, and made more money for more CEO's
than any salary.

So if you hate your company and your CEO, you should
really hate Trump, because of how much he helped them
with the tax changes in December that Nancy Pelosi
described as "the end of the world".  Well, yes, if your
life's work is based upon bloated government I can see
that less government is "Armageddon".

[youtube][/youtube]

For people that hate Boeing:  their stock has [b]doubled[/b]
in the last year.  Do you have any idea how many
millions of dollars that made the executives at Boeing?

Just checked - Jeff Bezos earned $81,840 in salary and
bonuses in 2016.  Remember, he has US$123[b]B[/b] in stock.

You think he gives a shit about $80k?

All you Canadians that hate so much, with your politics
of envy, should try visiting the billionaires in Palo Alto.
ScudRunner-d95

Here in Canuckistan we don't like people who are successful, we tend to cut the tall poppy.  Such backwards thinking is why we have Mr Dressup as PM and an economy based on pulling stuff from the ground.  Even then we can't export a dam thing, because well you know, corporations are evil and must be doing evil to make money.

Even successful guys like Elon Musk whom is a darling of the far left faced a backlash for launching a car into orbit instead of doing something some noble hippies thought he should have done  between hits on the bong. Fortunately for humanity (or peoplekind) Elon doesn't listen to these bong smoking hippies advice and does what he wants. If Paypal was here in Canada more than half his fortune would have been taxed and he wouldn't have had enough to create Tesla.

Tesla would have been destroyed by red tape at Transport Canada before he got the first prototype out of the garage.   

I think somewhere in his past when he first came to Canada he looked around and though well Canadians are nice but I will never be able to accomplish anything here in Canada because of this social structure that warps our economy.

Just look at whats going on in BC with pipelines and housing, if you own a vacation home in BC your tax bill will quintuple this year. Because you know if you can afford a vacation home you must be an evil capitalist.

I think its telling that a few years ago when flying for a multinational company I overheard the US Execs while I was flying them back to the US head quarters complaining about Canadian business being far too conservative to let any innovation happen and that it seamed even venturing some small percent of free cash on projects that  potentially could spin off massive profits and innovation where DOA before they study or case hit the desk.

David MacRay

Scud you should be ashamed comparing Ernie Combs to any of the crappy politicians around.

I like Boeing but if they wouldn't bully Bombardy-eh and just keep building great planes they would be even better in my opinion. That's not how things work, I guess when you're king of the hill you push the other kids off before they get you.