Does anyone actually use a kneeboard?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Slick Goodlin

A friend of mine is starting his PPL and recently asked me about what kneeboard he should get.  It's been a while since I had really thought about it but my answer was none because I fail to see the point.  Knowing what I know now and with all that's on the market I told him if I had to do it all again I'd skip the expense.

I mean, I know [i]other[/i] people must buy kneeboards, just look at all the ones you can get:
http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/categories ... rowse.html

I got suckered into getting one when I started my CPL (it seemed important) but being a cheap ass I just got the little aluminum rectangle with the leg strap.  Even then it was mostly useless to me.  I just keep my pencil in my shirt pocket and stash my map/notes/whatever either beside the seat or under my leg when not in use.  If it's dark I'll turn the flood light to a low level so I can see this stuff.  Am I doing it wrong?  Does anyone have any use for those tri-fold, zippered, velcro, pocketed, light-up, pen-holstering beasts?

Or should he just buy a cheapie half-size clipboard at the dollar store?

David MacRay

I do use mine. It has a big enough pocket to hold my e6-b thing. I have a calculator in another pocket. One VNC fits. The square protractor and scale ruler. I have a small note pad for writing the winds, active runway, altimeter etc from the ATIS. Then slide the pencil back into the loop.

I just find it keeps all that stuff in the same spot and I like a surface for writing on the note pad. I set my chart on it but never clip it.

I bought a strap that would make an iPad into a knee board but never switched over.

I would suggest he gets the least expensive one then upgrade if he uses it and wants something nicer.

It's like sunglasses I don't think there is a wrong answer. If you like cheap ones that's ok. If you can't live without the big dollar ones I can't see the problem with that either. You need to get the trinkets you like for yourself.
Nark1

Helicopter flying, absolutely.  Way too much shit to write down. 

GA flying.  Nope.  Although, I'd caution to say, I do keep a writing device of some sort.  Scribbled down taxi clearances when going in/out of bigger airports. 

Airline flying, I have a tray table and a 15,000 page dispatch release. 

Short story long, I wouldn't spend more than $5 from the dollar store. 
DeflectionShot

I use the cheapo aluminum one from ASA with leg strap (and handy pen holder sleeve). I think it helps to write down ATC instructions when you're training so you don't forget ATIS winds/taxiways/runways or departure routes you've been cleared for. Also depends on how complicated your airport/airspace is I guess. Clipboard is probably just as good though....the trifold knee thingy with built-in parachute and rescue raft and mini flare pistol is a waste of time and money.

Or if you really want to cheap out use a pad of Post-it Notes....stick it on the panel for reference.  8)
Chris

I fly rental planes which means carrying everything I want with me. The kneeboard is a fairly universal solution to keeping my stuff in order.
cgzro

I just use a 1/2 size clip board with a small strap I glued to the bottom. Its quite useful in open cockpit or single seat twitchy planes where there is no seat to put things on or a constant risk of things blowing overboard. But not necessary to buy anything expensive.