Kit plane suggestion

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

That's why guys keep thinking, "Maybe I should build them to sell." Seems like a great plan even though I'm sure if you tried you'd end up making $3 can per hour doing it. Theorizing you would be able to not lose money.

Chris

The composite kits, Lancair aside, are all pretty labor intensive. Most of the slow-build Velocities I've seen are in the 2000-2500 hour range and take 7-10 years (there are exceptions on both ends. Retired folks can get it done quick, busy/financially constrained/lazy people take longer). The quick-build kit shortens that considerably and there have been some finished in less than two years with the factory builder assistance program. Of course it all depends how much you like to mess with things. You start trying to add fuel capacity or engineer your own flight controls and time starts going up real quick.

I've got a bit of a thing for canards and composite construction. If I do build a plane one day it'll probably be a Velocity (room for wife and possible future small humans). If I were only flying myself around I'd go for a Berkut instead.
Tailwind W10

The point about extended build times is well taken.  I will however suggest the bulk of guys taking so long will be more because of life / family commitments and budgetary limitations.  The advantage of scratch or kit building is the ability to spread the costs over years and put things aside when life requires.  In my case an involved home reno as well as paying off the debt from said reno added substantially to my build time.  it's all good, though I am amused when guys talk about how long it took to build their plane, as if it's a source of pride.  ?????

One of the guru's of the Tailwind fraternity got his most recent builds down to within a year for the completely scratch built project.  Of course having built 10 of 'em he's got every nuance figured out, and being an empty nester retired guy, and having owned a one man auto body shop, he's got the right pedigree to be sure.

Quick build kits are certainly worthwhile.  Interestingly, in Canada, the owner of an amateur built project can contract out 100% of the build to professionals, as long as they're "in control" of the build.  A Fellow out of the High River EAA chapter does indeed operate such a business, and yes he's got more than enough tire kickers that want to pay him nothing for his time.  Fortunately he's got more than enough customers who value his time properly.  I believe he works out of Springbank.

Cheers
Gerry
Chris

Interesting bit of news from the Velocity folks (let me know if these pictures don't load, they're from a paid membership forum):

[img width=500 height=375]https://s3.amazonaws.com/ClubExpressClu ... 999718_1_1[/img]

[img width=500 height=375]https://s3.amazonaws.com/ClubExpressClu ... 999718_1_4[/img]

TP-100 engine, 216 knots tested so far.
Nark1

That's fucking awesome!!!

ScudRunner-d95

What will that set a guy back?