Two Hands on the controls

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Shiny link=topic=7574.msg20983#msg20983 date=1512423663]
[quote]Dying is quite a different level of tragedy. [/quote]

Personally I worry that I know enough dead people that it has lost its impact. I also know a lot of people who walked away from incredible things. Both the fragility and resilience of human life is nothing short of astounding.
[/quote] 

I am reading no flight plan filed and no spot on that missing plane near rogers pass.  A 230 Pm  takeoff time for a long flight, and isolated sketchy weather at best. 

The disregard for basic risk principles astounds me. 

I am a chicken and proud of it. I've been in both enough (still pretty mild) turbulence in IMC to satisfy any curiosity , and experienced a "mild" mountain wave condition too.

Enough to get the idea light aircraft are absolutely no match for the really nasty stuff. The thought of either at night terrifies me.

Chuck Ellsworth

If the winds were anywhere near what was posted they could very well have had the airplane come apart in the air with the turbulence that could have been encountered.
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=7574.msg20986#msg20986 date=1512434939]
If the winds were anywhere near what was posted they could very well have had the airplane come apart in the air with the turbulence that could have been encountered.
[/quote]

What were the winds Chuck?
Chuck Ellsworth

If we are talking about the missing Mooney I read wind reports that had up to 65 knots in them.

The turbulence could have been strong enough to cause airframe failure.
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=7574.msg20989#msg20989 date=1512439564]
If we are talking about the missing Mooney I read wind reports that had up to 65 knots in them.

The turbulence could have been strong enough to cause airframe failure.
[/quote]

I experienced mountain wave with 9 k winds under half that, and it wasn't a comfortable experience.
Colonel

I have to ask ...

Were any regulations contravened by his flight?

If not, why wasn't it a safe one?  After all, there
are tens of thousands of regulations pertaining to
aviation, and as pilots we must obey [b]every single[/b]
[b]one of them, all the time[/b]. 

Goodness, is it possible that there aren't enough?