FLIGHT TEST STANDARDS IN THE US OF A

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

FTU's, like Ontario, are likely too far gone to ever recover.

They don't know anything, can't teach anything, and couldn't
care less about any kind of efficiency.  TC has completely
perverted them into a horrible paper-pushing joke - an
extension of themselves.

As Chuck has said repeatedly, you can't help but be suspicious
of a class one instructor that can't fly a light conventional gear
trainer (cub, champ, t-craft, luscombe, etc)  And, they are the
"top of the heap" - the brain trust - when it comes to flight
training ... the next generation of TC Inspectors, actually.

All the skill and brains has been bred out of the flight training
pool, and all we are left with is a ghastly bureaucratic joke
that knows very little of aviation.

Liquid Charlie

I see this shit every day!! The current generation know all the rules and regulations but have a lot of difficulty flying and getting the job done. The biggest weakness I see on a daily basis is the lack of an instrument scan and the lack of ambition to address that weakness. Cruising along at + or - 250 feet , 1 to 2 miles off track and listening to tunes (uncontrolled airspace) and when you point this out they try to correct but fall right back into it -- I give up on it unless I'm IFR under control then either I continuously rag on them of fly it myself. -- what -- no fucking autopilot -- haha -- fuck me rules and SOPs trump skills and most don't give a shit about their skill level and judge their whole flight on the landing which really opens my eyes wide on occasion. I'm tired of taking over to save the metal and I'm not a grabby person.
Colonel

It seems bizarre to us old guys that pilots don't give a shit
about whether or not they bend tin, but are surprised and
sad when people crash and die.

I don't get it.
Chuck Ellsworth

I solved the letting them land it problem Charlie.

What I did was insist the airplane stayed on the center line all the way in on final, most of them refused to even try.

When the airplane got off the center line I said I have control and finished the approach and landing.

Several of them complained to the chief pilot and it ended up by me telling the chief pilot to make the F O the captain because I quit.

That solved that problem because there was no way the F O could meet the government requirements for the contract.
ramjet555

re Cargo Cult mentality.
The FAA Flight Instructor Handbook has a chapter in there on psychology
and it's called "reaction formation" where someone fabricates a belief
opposite the true belief because the true belief causes them discomfort.

It's related to denial, minimization, rationalization, projection, justification etc.
Rookie Pilot

Shiny,

What is your analysis of the fatal accident from the St Catherine's flying club ( with a flight instructor as PIC)?