FLIGHT TEST STANDARDS IN THE US OF A

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

When aviation gets dumbed down to the point that you can not demonstrate a simple stall in a certified trainer the only thing left is waiting for the gene pool to be reset back to normal IQ in the pool.

I still can not believe that there are so many pilots out there that accept such nonsense as no stall demonstrations.

digits

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=7538.msg20860#msg20860 date=1511920896]
When aviation gets dumbed down to the point that you can not demonstrate a simple stall in a certified trainer the only thing left is waiting for the gene pool to be reset back to normal IQ in the pool.

[/quote]

Bad news: the average IQ, by definition, will always be 100  O:-)
Chuck Ellsworth

Regardless of what number average IQ is do you think not demonstrating a stall is making flying safer digits?

Just a simple yes or no answer will be sufficient.
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=7538.msg20860#msg20860 date=1511920896]

I still can not believe that there are so many pilots out there that accept such nonsense as no stall demonstrations.
[/quote]

And maybe Chuck, while on the subject, flight schools could spend a little more time teaching on weather, as opposed to taxi speeds. 

Lack of knowledge of one of those kills.  The other doesn't.

I find the weather knowledge at most FTU's absolutely atrocious.  Do you agree?
Chuck Ellsworth

The bar is so low for flight training in Canada that it is hopeless to even talk about it.

The worst business I ever owned was a flight school in Canada, the level of incompetent T.C. flight school inspectors I experienced was mind boggling and it was virtually impossible to deal with them.

The problem is their hiring practices, those in power only hire people at or below their own level of experience and thinking ability.

Actually if they could think they would not be there.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]That said, I have seen some schools teach weather horribly, one ground school taping a pilot I knew sent me was particularly atrocious. I wouldn't say its universal though.[/quote]

Which supports my comments.

The whole FTU-OC thing is a joke.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]what they really mean is bad at answering met questions in TC's multiple choice format,[/quote]

T.C.'s exams are another example of bureaucratic stupidity.

Passing a T.C. exam is only proof you can figure out which answer T.C. accepts as the correct one.

When I wrote most of my exams including the ATPL the answers were written, not chosen from four choices.

In other words your answers demonstrated you knew the subject of the question.

T.C. went to multiple choice because it is easier to mark multiple choice exams than read the written answers and determine if the answer is correct.

To mark written exam questions the T.C. employee would have to know the subject.

Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=7538.msg20870#msg20870 date=1512002579]
[quote]That said, I have seen some schools teach weather horribly, one ground school taping a pilot I knew sent me was particularly atrocious. I wouldn't say its universal though.[/quote]

Which supports my comments.

The whole FTU-OC thing is a joke.
[/quote]

In depth  weather knowledge --- and fairly, students desire to learn at a deep level, are by and large atrocious.  And the reason is simple, and purely universal human nature, in any application:

Do enough in any half assed manner to get by. 

Everything we should attempt to do in life, (not that I don't make a ton of mistakes) , should be with a choice to pursue excellence.  And to teach, same.

In fairness weather is very complex in some areas, and I'm sure I'll never fully understand it as I'd like to.

I will say Shiny the first reponsibility is always with the student to seek knowledge. 

I did a couple of smart things when I did my PPL way back when, the most important licence always, being the first and foundational.

I picked a slightly older (30's) instructor -- the one I did my first couple of flights with was a 20 something snot.  Shiny, do you screen for maturity when you hire these kids? Seriously.....I digress.

Second thing is I peppered him with a ton of risk management questions, being a cautious sort, we got on well.  You see risk is my world, I understand it, can be measured and weighed, like canned tomatoes.  Few think in that language. They should.

A risk management segment should be mandatory part of the PPL syllabus.