GO FUND ME: online begging.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

Happiness is when the woman says " whatapenis "

Colonel

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Short_(film)]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Short_(film)[/url]

[quote]In 2005, eccentric hedge fund manager Michael Burry (Christian Bale) discovers that the United States housing market is extremely unstable, being based on high-risk subprime loans.

Anticipating that the market will collapse during Q2 2007, as interest rates would rise from adjustable-rate mortgages, he envisions an opportunity to profit.

His plan is to create a credit default swap market, allowing him to bet against market-based mortgage-backed securities. He proposes his idea to several major investment and commercial banks who readily accept.

Burry's huge long-term bet, exceeding $1 billion, entails paying substantial monthly premiums to the banks. This requirement sparks his clients' vocal unhappiness, believing he is "wasting" capital, and many demand that he reverse and sell, but Burry refuses.

He later discovers that the banks collude with a major bond-rating company to maintain ratings on worthless bonds, allowing them to sell off their losing positions before the true values became known.

Under pressure, Burry restricts withdrawals from his fund, angering his investors.

Eventually the housing market collapses and [b]his fund's value increases by 489%[/b] with an overall profit of over $2.69 billion.[/quote]

I'm a sucker for a happy ending.
Trey Kule

Rookie wrote:

[font=Verdana]“People think they know everything. “[/font]

[font=Verdana]Did you come to that conslusion while looking in the mirror?  Or is your ginormous internet ego simoly the recognition of someone who does know everything?  Do you really need to seek the approval of a group of anonymous internet posters?[/font]

[font=Verdana]Chuck....you have to be careful with the woman who asks what a penis is.  Later when you show her she might exclaim,,,” oh, its just like a cock, only a lot smaller”[/font]

Colonel

[quote]Do you really need to seek the approval of a group of anonymous internet posters?[/quote]

It's been working fabulously for me for years  ;D
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Shiny link=topic=7491.msg20665#msg20665 date=1511030941]

But please, tell me how you would start and run a flight school that's going to grow into a multi-million dollar enterprise. Its funny to hear you complain that you hate people telling you how to run your business, but you seem to have no problems lecturing me about how to run mine. I got out of that aspect of flight training since I saw no avenue for getting into the game with one's own investment.

My mistake, carry on Rookie and tell us more about your fabulous business prowess.
[/quote]

I don't know how to run a flight school, don't particularly care, and have never pretended otherwise on either. I also no nothing about bush flying, heavy transport class  flying , military flying, and my chocolate chip cookies suck, too. There's a million things I know nothing about.

My business experience I've already discussed, and it's the totally the school of hard knocks.  I'd submit most don't have the guts or perseverance to do what we did -- that's all.  No loans, grants, gofundme, out of the house with no money at 18, worked on commission for a number of years,  saved our money,  family laughed at us when we decided to start a company.  No one ever had, in our circle.

I've realized that is a attribute of losers -- they laugh at winners.

Maybe I've learned something, maybe not. Maybe it'll take another 20 years to tell.  So far it's looking ok.  We give back a ton in countless ways. Teach for free. Humanitarian work in shitholes scary enough you wouldn't pass through the airport. Yeah, with serious "risks". That's another attribute of the (left) losers, which unbelievably your a part of in Alberta.  They never give anything back to anyone. What a sorry existence. 

So -- When people claim they are "successful" in business, but upon questions realize either wasn't their money, they don't own it, never made a profit, or certainly never enough to live on, I raise an eyebrow.  "Success" in business, is now defined as "managerial" experience,  That, sir, is bullshit, with a managers benefits, retirement plan, paid vacation. Don't even know what stepping out and taking risks, putting it all on the line, even means.

How much of this multi million dollar enterprise-- I'm impressed -- is / was yours? You said you put capital in. How much, where did it come from, what happened?  How much money did you make when all is said and done?

I don't start pissing contests. I am willing to finish them.

Rookie Pilot

No, I agree, the margins in an FTU are horrible, no, I have no answers for that,  yes, look who you guys elected out there.  Same as everywhere else. 

The only time I recall bitchng about cost was when a substitute instructor decided on the ramp to conduct an extra, unannounced  ground lesson. With the engine running. 

I paid for Extra flights before getting my licences, extra dual. Just because I thought it would give me a more rounded set of experience.
Liquid Charlie

Skipping ahead and I see some thread drift but as for me. What is wrong with it. The internet is supposed to be open ( I know the reality) and it's buyer beware and if someone like this thinks it's fine, and it seems some donations but could be a seed, as adults we have the ability to do what we want. Is it a statement of current society, maybe, but things haven't changed much. Human kind is still and always has been a den of weird people, you know the good, the bad and the ugly. Communications has just put it out there more.  >:D
Eric Janson

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=7491.msg20656#msg20656 date=1511025685]
Warren Buffet bought FlightSafety a few years back.  They
are crafty people who give flight training but don't bother
with any real aircraft, which keeps their costs down.

As long as you can afford a computer (getting cheaper
every day) and a pilot who's lost his medical to instruct,
I guess business is good.
[/quote]

At the Airline level - a full flight Simulator costs almost as much as the real airplane.
Plus you need technicians to maintain them. There is normally a fairly large room full of computers for each Simulator.

It's a huge investment.

One thing I discovered a few years ago is that actual aircraft parts are used in Simulators - they had to replace a SECondary flight control computer ($200,000). That took a few months.

Sorry for going off topic.