One of my finest moments on Avcanada.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Strega

Im not sure about ac pilots,, but I think I would notice this...

There is a reason you have to the the Ishihara test..

Chuck Ellsworth

Maybe airports should have the approach lights capable of flashing bright red to warn airplanes to go around if they do not respond to tower instructions?

But then Air Canada might mow them all down during a hard landing. >:D >:D
Trey Kule

[font=Verdana]You know, Chuck....the idea about the approach guidance lights has merit...a switch in the tower that would make them go all red, or an extra red bar...I wonder if the type of incident at SFOnis just to rare an occurance to justify it though...[/font],

Similar to take off and hold lights, but tower controlled, and for approach.
ScudRunner-d95

I'm usually looking at the point of impact aka touchdown not the tower.

Maybe they should give the tower those green lasers everyone complains about  O0
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]

[font=Verdana]You know, Chuck....the idea about the approach guidance lights has merit...a switch in the tower that would make them go all red, or an extra red bar...I wonder if the type of incident at SFOnis just to rare an occurance to justify it though...[/font][/quote]

Yes Trey K, my suggestion was serious.
Chuck Ellsworth

Here is something interesting.

[quote]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=lato][[size=17px]Retired Captain Ross Aimer says he flew into SFO hundreds of times during his career.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=lato][size=17px]His explanation for this confusion?[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=lato]"[/font][/color][size=17px]I’m afraid these fellows were almost clueless,” said Aimer.”I would look back at these guys scheduling practice, see if they’re dead tired or whatever it is. This is sloppy radio discipline.”[/size][/quote]

You have to take notice when a retired pilot makes such a statement.
Napoleon So Low

Hmm... that name sounds familiar.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=7336.msg20074#msg20074 date=1508892263]
Maybe airports should have the approach lights capable of flashing bright red to warn airplanes to go around if they do not respond to tower instructions?
[/quote]
My first thought was forcing a go around at night by switching off the runway lights but then they might line up on the lights that are left - the taxiway.

Really the easiest answer here is a policy change to not allow the issuance of a landing clearance without the runway actually being clear.  Well, that and figuring out how the crew went from no radio issues to no reception to no issues supposedly without even noticing.
Colonel

Sorry, down here landing clearance is routinely given
before the runway is clear. 

I guess US ATC expects pilots to perform at a slighter
higher level than what AC routinely displays at SFO.
Nark1

A few things:

First, I'm not in anyway shape or form defending the sky- Gods Air Canada employ's.  The Airbus audio control panel is ass backwards and its extremely easy to off tune primary frequency, from the "otherside." ie, I can control (tune and switch) both radio's from the non flying seat. I have done this at inopportune times. (arriving to ORD, talking to approach)

Second, there is a massive push from runway incursion lights. They work really, really realllllllllly well.
Here's a video. [youtube][/youtube]

As for ATC giving landing clearance 5 aircraft out. meh.  I'm still a pilot. As a matter of fact, I'm the final authority on whether I chose to land.