What a silly thing to blame

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Slick Goodlin

So then is this setting precedent that all night flights must use NVGs?
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... -told.html

I would have thought two attitude indicators, two altimeters, two VSIs, probably a radio altimeter, and four eyeballs would have sufficed.  I know that might come off as harsh to some and it's awful such a dear price was paid, but plain and simple they fucked up.

John Swallow

Used to routinely do single-pilot no-light night take-offs in the Kiowa (JetRanger) in the military.  Called them "towering take-offs" or "altitude over airspeed take-offs" or some such.  Basically an instrument departure until a 100 feet or so had been achieved.

During a moonless night mission in the Wainwright area years ago, I nearly splattered my observer and I over the training area because somebody wasn't minding the store.  Would NVGs have helped?  Certainly!  But, so would paying attention to the instruments... 

J