Industry Insanity

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Liquid Charlie

Well I'm thinking they best get self drive aircraft soon. I had a discussion with a DFO yesterday that almost had the hair standing up on the back of my neck. It seems that the level 2 carriers in Canada are so desperate for pilots, add to this the new FDT restrictions for 705 are looming closer which by estimations will add from 4-10% even more pilots required the standards have dropped to almost warm body requirements.

So 3rd hand hear say - some feeders have dropped hiring standards to a new commercial,IFR, IATRA for right seat (250hrs) and are taking direct entry -400 captains with new ATP (1500hrs) -- damn I never thought I would wish for more automation -- LMFAOOoooooo  >:D

Mom and pop operations are going to get the rejects. Oh my, I'm thinking age should be extended to 80 for retirement so I can go back and prostitute myself -- I'm still a whore -- haha

John Swallow

LC:  I'm with you!  And I'm rapidly closing in on the eighth decade!!!  However, prospective employers would have to understand that I can only work between ten and two with an hour off at noon for lunch and a nap...  (;>0)
vanNostrum

Space Cowboys are back !!! :)
DeflectionShot

Just make sure you don't end up with Tommy Lee Jones part....
Chuck Ellsworth

Barney is older than all of us.  :)
Three Bars

Not quite.

If it's Encore you're talking about, it's 2000 hours minimum with 1500 hours [i]on type[/i] to be Captain.

Even a 4000+ hour guy has to have at least 500 hours on type according to their matrix. If you've got Classic or ATR time, it credits at 50% in their matrix.

I'll admit that 2000 TT to be in command of a 705 aircraft in scheduled service is pushing it, but with that amount of time on type required it shouldn't be typical and they would probably be much better suited than someone fresh off a Navajo with 4000TT.  Not many people here realize it, but the automation requires an understanding, respect, and mindset that without which will get a 'seat of the pants' pilot in trouble very quickly.

https://career4.successfactors.com/care ... P5umkWo%3d
Colonel

Nice jab, Princess.

This stupid fucking stick and rudder pilot has an Engineering
Degree from Queen's University and 35 years of embedded
software development.

And I have never even once tried to land on the taxiway.

You?
Slick Goodlin

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't starting to get a little worrying already.  At my company we have some very green folks but we do our best to keep safe through lots of ongoing training and supervision, and accept that there will be more cancellations than prior years.  Such is life in the boonies.

What's really freaky is to be sharing airspace with the regional carriers and seeing some of the dumb crap they're doing now.  I feel for their passengers who have no idea what they've signed up for.
vanNostrum

[quote author=Slick Goodlin link=topic=6960.msg18810#msg18810 date=1503760785]
What's really freaky is to be sharing airspace with the regional carriers and seeing some of the dumb crap they're doing now.  I feel for their passengers who have no idea what they've signed up for.
[/quote]

Care to share?
Just curious
Liquid Charlie

Seems the ad posted on av can bares out my rumour --