Impossible Turn

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

I like to take my time, when I do really stupid things  ;D

Trey Kule

If something is possible, why would people be calling it impossible?

I think that those with wiser heads and less ego, consider the circumstances, , an average pilot, the stress as things are coming apart, and the learning of many who tried and failed, to come up with a best course of action.

Yes, there are the super pilots who like to tell everyone how really easy it is to do, and take the opportunity to belittle anyone who dares to disagree, but procedures are not based on them.. 

Colonel

It is possible for the airframe, but not often within
the abilities of an untrained pilot.

You don't have to be a superman to do the turnback -
you just need a little training and practice, which is
oddly suppressed for some reason by the straight
and level crowd.

According to you, no one should get an instrument
rating, either.  Or, learn to fly tailwheel.  Or aerobatic.
Or floats.

And you wonder why I laugh at four bars?
Trey Kule

[font=Verdana]Everyone will tell you that it is impossible to[/font][font=Verdana]turn back, in a little single, after engine failureafter takeoff, and land on the same runway youtook off on, in the opposite direction.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]....from your post...pure BS.  Lots of people will tell you it is very possible all things considered.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]But you are never wrong are you, oh four bars envious.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Accordibg to me......another pure BS statement.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Get back on your meds and into therapy[/font]

[/font]
Colonel

[quote]Two Air India pilots have been grounded after their aircraft nearly ran out of fuel - because [b]they’d forgotten to retract the landing gear[/b].

The Airbus A320, with 99 passengers on board, took off last Saturday from Kolkata, bound for Mumbai, but with the wheels affecting the aerodynamics it burned excessive quantities of fuel.

[b]The two pilots were oblivious to the landing wheels being down[/b] and diverted to Nagpur when the fuel ran low, it was reported.

It was when they tried to lower the landing gear as they prepared to land that they realised it was already down[/quote]

You guys couldn't push my lawn mower.

[quote]An Air Canada Airbus A320 attempting to land last month in San Francisco very narrowly avoided hitting several other taxiing airliners, data released Wednesday by the National Transportation Safety Board shows.

The incident represents one of the most serious in recent memory and [b]could have caused one of the worst air disasters in aviation histor[/b]y, according to air safety experts.

As Flight 759 passed over the first airliner, a United Airlines Boeing 787, the Air Canada crew aborted its landing. The crew commanded full power from the engines. At that point, it was just 85 feet above the ground.

Two and a half seconds later, [b]the A320 dipped as low as 59 feet before climbing[/b], according to NTSB data. [/quote]

I loved the "hard landing" at YHZ:

[img width=500 height=281]https://i.cbc.ca/1.3014702.1495118278!/ ... ngines.jpg[/img]

Let's hope the ILS is always working:

[quote]flight AC1804, departed Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport (CYYZ), Toronto, Ontario.

the flight crew became aware of a published Notice to Airmem specifying that the ILS for Runway 07 was not available. The NOTAM had been included in the company flight release documents before departure but had not been noticed by the flight crew. The crew decided to perform the VOR/DME Runway 07 approach.

At 1429:18, at 40 feet agl, the airspeed was decreasing through approximately 115 knots (19 knots below VAPP). The pitch angle had stabilized at 9.8° nose-up, the rate of descent was approximately 860 fpm, and the calculated true AOA was approximately 13.8°.

During the flare, with full nose-up side-stick input, the nose-up pitch command increased, the calculated true AOA reached a maximum of approximately 15.3°, and the elevator position oscillated between 1° and 5° nose-up. This sequence is consistent with alpha protection

At 1429:21, the aircraft touched down hard, with [b]a vertical load factor of 3.12g[/b]. The airspeed was 108 knots[/quote]

Yeah, I wish I could fly as well as that.

[img width=500 height=275]http://christinenegroni.com/wp-content/ ... 24x565.jpg[/img]

BTW, let me know how your interview with Airbus
for Director of Software Engineering goes.  I'm
sure it will be a cinch for a four bar like you.
Chuck Ellsworth

For sure Air Canada was seconds away from another hard landing in San Fran and this time they would have had to clear a few loaded big jets out of the way instead of approach lights.

But they reverted to their high skills just in time and went around with no damage done ....except a bit of bad publicity for A.C.
Trey Kule

Thousands, upon thousands , of successfully completed flights every day....it never ceases to amaze me how some people like to treat every event as indicative of the majority.  Guess it makes them feel better about themselves.yep, with tens of thousands of pilots out there, some idiots will slip through. Catagorizing all pilots based on those very few, is really quite unfair, and reveals more about the person doing it .

However, I did post years ago on Avcanada that we will witness an increase in accidents with the hiring of pilots right out of flight school.  It takes time for them to move to the left seat where thry have command.  But it will come. Couple that with extreme automation SOPs, and routine, and thus deteriorating flight skills, and accidents will increase.
TundraTire

It's a good thing no aerobatic pilots ever crash, or repeat mistakes that other aerobatic pilots have ever made.
Chuck Ellsworth

Unfortunately we all make mistakes.

Some make mistakes that are more serious than others.

What is important when these mistakes are made is finding out " why " the mistake was made so we can try and not make the same mistakes.

Aerobatic pilots are performing maneuvers that are by their very nature in the higher risk category, and fortunately many of us manage to end our careers accident free even though we made mistakes.