Vintage Wings Roseland Spitfire first flight

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
cgzro

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/ ... re-IX.aspx

Congrats!!

Note also its a fly in breakfast at VWOC tomorrow(sat 17th)

David MacRay

Thanks for the link.
Colonel

I hope no one get too angry at Mike.
ScudRunner-d95

Interesting, I had just assumed spitfires where produced
here during the war as well as England.
Colonel

While Hurricanes were produced in Thunder Bay
(I fly surface acro in a CanCar Harvard because
I am a [b]BAD PERSON[/b]) Spitfires were only built
in Southampton and Castle Bromwich, England.

This guy was incredibly cool:

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Henshaw]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Henshaw[/url]

[quote]It is estimated that Henshaw flew 10% of all Spitfires and Seafires, testing up to 20 aircraft a day in often foggy conditions.

He would also demonstrate the Spitfire to visiting dignitaries, such as Winston Churchill, and once flying the length of Broad Street in Birmingham at low level.

He is the only pilot known to have performed a barrel roll in a Lancaster bomber, a feat that was considered by some to be reckless or impossible due to the aircraft's size and relatively modest performance[/quote]

A [b]BAD PERSON[/b], certainly, but thank goodness the
hall monitors don't always get their way:

[quote]Henshaw was appointed a Member of the Order of the British Empire in recognition of his wartime service[/quote]

None of the nasty, jealous hall monitors ever received
that honour.

Read his biography.  Learn his IFR approach technique
to Castle Bromwich.  With no navaids.
ScudRunner-d95

[url=[/url]

Adding that to my wishlist of books

Sigh for a Merlin - Alex Henshaw
Colonel

Similar:

[url=[/url]

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Quill]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Quill[/url]

[quote]Jeffrey Kindersley Quill, OBE, AFC, FRAeS (1 February 1913 – 20 February 1996) was a British test pilot who served on secondment with the Royal Air Force and Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve during the Second World War.

He was also the second man to fly the Supermarine Spitfire after Vickers Aviation's chief test pilot, Joseph "Mutt" Summers.

After succeeding Summers as Vickers' chief test pilot, Quill test-flew every mark of Spitfire.

Quill's work on the aircraft aided its development from a promising but untried prototype to become, with the Hawker Hurricane, an instrument of the Royal Air Force's victory in the Battle of Britain.

The Spitfire later played a leading role in gaining Allied air superiority over Europe[/quote]

The four bars would not like him:

[quote][b]Unless aerobatics were practised assiduously to the point where one was familiar with every conceivable combination of speed and altitude of which the aircraft was capable, one was not master of the aeroplane[/b].

Therefore a day would come when the aeroplane decided that it was in charge instead of the pilot, and that would be the last day.

I never had cause to modify that view, and [b]I kept my aerobatics well honed to the day of my last flight as a pilot[/b][/quote]

That guy knew what the fuck he was talking about.

Which brings us to Colgan 3407:

[quote]Following the clearance for final approach, landing gear and flaps (5 degrees) were extended. The flight data recorder (FDR) indicated the airspeed had slowed to 145 knots. The captain then called for the flaps to be increased to 15 degrees.

The airspeed continued to slow to 135 knots. Six seconds later, [b]the aircraft's stick shaker activated[/b], warning of an impending stall as the speed continued to slow to 131 knots.

The captain responded by abruptly [b]pulling back on the control column[/b], followed by increasing thrust to 75% power, instead of lowering the nose and applying full power, which was the proper stall recovery technique.

That improper action pitched the nose up even further, increasing both the g-load and the stall speed. The stick pusher activated but [b]the captain overrode the stick pusher and continued pulling back on the control column[/b]. The first officer retracted the flaps without consulting the captain, making recovery even more difficult.

[b]In its final moments, the aircraft pitched up 31 degrees, then pitched down 25 degrees, then rolled left 46 degrees and snapped back to the right at 105 degrees. Occupants aboard experienced forces estimated at nearly twice that of gravity. [/b]

The crew made no emergency declaration as they rapidly lost altitude and crashed into a private home at 6038 Long Street, about 5 miles from the end of the runway, with the nose pointed away from the airport. The aircraft burst into flames as the fuel tanks ruptured on impact, destroying the house of Douglas and Karen Wielinski, and most of the plane[/quote]

Now go re-read what Jeffrey Quill said above
re: aerobatics, which four bars say is stupid.

[quote][b]a day would come when the aeroplane decided that it was in charge instead of the pilot, and that would be the last day[/b][/quote]

It's as if he was responding to the Colgan 3407
accident report, released long after his death from
old age in 1996.

We had [i]pilots[/i], back in the day.  Today we have
uniformed button pushers, and all we can do is hope
that [b]nothing [/b]goes wrong, like the ILS going U/S on
a perfect wx day:

[img width=500 height=284]http://www.airlinereporter.com/wp-conte ... 40x364.jpg[/img]
Barneydhc82

And here I though the thread was a happy one, announcing the re[birth of a Spitfire!  Could someone give Andy a Happy Pill for a change!  I;m getting tired of his bull shit.

Barney
David MacRay

Oh oh, careful Barney, you might be accused of being friends with Arlo Guthrie, the guy from McDonalds, big belly at tower 7 and other "good Canadians."
cgzro

Apparently all is working quite well with only relatively minor teething problems. They were tweaking a slight roll tendency at 300MPH last I looked. I think she had about  6 flights or so on her as of last Saturday and [font=verdana]I believe the plan is for her to make a public appearance on Canada day ;) .[/font]

[font=verdana]Yes Henshaw and Quill's books are well worth reading. Its actually fun to read them back to back because they take a few jabs at each other. At one point Quill comments on Henshaw arriving in the fog, putting on a low level display and landing. Apparently he was most unamused and gave him a dressing down. Two type A++ personalities but both of which were required to get the job done. As Andy point's out Quill's circling IFR approach over the coal plume was pretty ballsy. I guess after thousands of flights and lots of VFR practice he just slowly worked up to it but my god.. those two were something else.[/font]