A FAMILY BUSINESS

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
John Swallow

Bud Granley and his son Ross perform airshows mainly in western Canada and the western USA.  Bud's craft is the YAK 55 while Ross flies a YAK 18; dissimilar aircraft which presents unique problems.

The links below show a couple of routines and an interview done with Ross.  The routines prove that you don't have to be doing "The speed of heat" to put on a good show.  Their performances are safe, in close, and at an altitude whereby "Granny" in the fourth row can see what's going on. 

Colonel

Big Ears Teddy

ALL CAPS MAKES IT EVEN BETTER
BCPilotguy

I remember watching Bud Granley do airshows when I was a kid, I probably saw Ross as a snowbird too. They've been regulars at the Quesnel Skyfest (excellent airshow if you happen to be in BC in early August BTW) since its inception and their act is one that I really look forward to.

Watching Bud fly solo in the Yak, Harvard, or Fouga is pretty damn good too. If there is someone else living who'll snap roll a Harvard on takeoff I've never heard of them (Bobby Younkin used to to it, but he's dead now). Gives me goose bumps every time. Bud is around 80 years old. To be flying at that age is quite the achievement in itself, let alone flying at that level.

[youtube][/youtube]
TundraTire

Well they both flew for United, so they must be awful pilots right?

I'm sure they wore four bars....
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=TundraTire link=topic=6402.msg17044#msg17044 date=1496859320]
Well they both flew for United, so they must be awful pilots right?

I'm sure they wore four bars....
[/quote]

The second you put on bars, you're automatically a horrible pilot.
Colonel

Well, it sure as hell wouldn't help you.
Three Bars

The Granleys are awesome people... kind and humble.

And that snap roll on takeoff in the big heavy ponderous Harvard.

[youtube][/youtube]
cgzro

The Harvard is may appear big and heavy but to fly its actually reasonably light and agile. I can see it doing a very nice snap actually as long as you know what the hell you are doing. Rick Volker also puts on a nice show with his.

cgzro

That was a 3/4 snap on take-off ;) Look at the rotation rate, nothing heavy or sluggish about that. Thats full on aerobatic aircraft autorotation rate.