Flight Chops takes on the Pitts

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=6258.msg16455#msg16455 date=1494725718]
That's what the world needs - more Cirrus pilots.[/quote]
I'd love it if the world had more Cirrus pilots.  More Cirruses would lead to a better infrastructure for us all, better advocacy, more of the good kind of attention as well as the inevitable bad, and a whole crop of people who are a step closer to flying antiques or aerobatics or neat Eastern bloc jets or whatever.

I don't care so much where they start, but North America and especially Canada needs more private pilots.

Colonel

Dick Collins said it best:

[url=http://airfactsjournal.com/2012/05/dick ... us-pilots/]http://airfactsjournal.com/2012/05/dick ... us-pilots/[/url]

[quote]Such might be the case with Cirrus pilots. With training, advanced equipment, and a parachute, a pilot could develop a false sense of security about flying the airplane.

I recall an accident that well illustrates this. A professional person had finished a long and full day of work. After work, and after darkness set in, he flew an IFR trip to an airport located in rough terrain. At 11:30 p.m. he left that airport on an IFR clearance. He lost control of the airplane soon after takeoff and collided with rising terrain.

This was a relatively inexperienced pilot and you can read between the lines of the NTSB report and contemplate several things.

To me it is likely that there was some sort of distraction or confusion that caused the pilot to lose control. Certainly a marginally trained and inexperienced pilot does not have a lot of ability in reserve, especially in the middle of the night following a long day.

The airplane had a good autopilot. Was the pilot not properly trained in its use? Autopilots have been known to cause confusion if not used correctly.

A question that has to be asked is whether or not the pilot would have even been flying IFR in bad weather over rough terrain at night in his single-engine airplane if it had not been equipped with a parachute. I have always thought that a pilot who would do anything in a twin that he wouldn’t do in a single is an accident looking for a place to happen. Same goes with the parachute.

I question, too, whether or not many in the industry don’t minimize the hazards found in aviation. No manufacturer is going to tell you that a product is dangerous as such and no entity that is in the business of promoting aviation will either. But collectively [b]we should feel an obligation to make sure that new pilots understand that an airplane can kill you quicker than most anything else[/b]. When I look at the Cirrus accidents, I get the feeling that many of the pilots did not realize how quickly an airplane can bite, hard.[/quote]

I happen to be a big fan of motorcycles, but I cannot
recommend in good conscience that newbies get on a
liter bike and start mixing it up in traffic.

That's a good way to get killed.

I know.  It lacks egalitarianism.  That is why I am so
fond of surface acro, liter bikes and critical software.

The proficient are rewarded and the incompetent are
quickly culled.  Swift justice.  Somewhat anachronistic
for our times.  Delightfully so.
Rookie Pilot

Let's look at the Pitts accident rates, per 100K hours.

Multiples of any cirrus model in existence.
Colonel

[quote]The proficient are rewarded and the incompetent are
quickly culled.  Swift justice.  Somewhat anachronistic
for our times.  Delightfully so.[/quote]
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Rookie Pilot link=topic=6258.msg16488#msg16488 date=1494808487]
Let's look at the Pitts accident rates, per 100K hours.

Multiples of any cirrus model in existence.

----

Funny to see a guy like Dick Collins quoted, who I have quite respected every word he's written. 

I'm sure he's looked at as a lousy pilot compared to the hot aero sticks here, which is totally bizarre to me.

Look I don't  care whose flown cool aero out there or not.

I'm not in the aero goo goo girls fan club.  I'll save my glowing admiration for guys like Captain Sully -- cause he kept his head in an impossible situation.  I admire that. Or the pilots of the Sioux City disaster. That was amazing, even though many died. And many others who got the plane on the ground when it counted.

But they are 4 bars.  Automatic shit pilots to the aero club here, judged by those without the guts to ever have hundreds of lives in their hands. Just shut up already.

And cool aero sure isn't the definition of any long term great pilot to me -- compared to people I know doing flying every day in places you would wet your panties even visiting the international airport, let alone flying in.

Guy like chuck, shooting star navigation to navigate in the Arctic (and flying many interesting places)  -- I respect that, too.

The last word, gents.

[/quote]
Colonel

[quote]The last word, gents[/quote]

Yours, I presume?  Wonderful!

[quote]people I know doing flying every day in places[/quote]

Ah, the [b]African Bush Pilot Heroes[/b] that
crash 172's trying to land in crosswinds?

So, how's the new bizjet working out for you?
Rookie Pilot

[url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_ ... Flight_232]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_ ... Flight_232[/url]

4 Bars.

And better pilots, than you will ever be.

This is flying. Dealing with the impossible and turning into a chance to survive. 

This deserves our admiration. 

Not any videos. 
Colonel

[quote]Last last word[/quote]

So, how's your new business jet?

And would you mind terribly telling your
[b]African Bush Pilot Heroes[/b] to not trying
to fly any more 172's when it's windy out?

Other people might want to fly them, too.

[quote]This deserves our admiration.  Not any videos.[/quote]

Man, you flip-flop positions faster than a
Hilary supporter on Comey.  I thought last
page you said that Porkchops videos were a
good idea?

Also, last page you said that criticizers were
losers.  You say on this page that you hate
acro, therefore by your own logic and words
you are now a "loser"?

Is there something in the water in Toronto?
That would explain an awful lot.  Or, maybe
it's something in the polluted air?
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=6258.msg16486#msg16486 date=1494807981]

That is why I am so fond of surface acro, liter bikes and critical software.
[/quote]

...And (most of ) the world couldn't care less.

Must kill you.

How sad.

Oh Africa is more than one country. Try google maps.

Colonel

Was that your last word?

You keep contradicting yourself.  You don't make any sense.

It's a good thing you're such a financial wizard
that you can afford awesome airplanes.  I was
so happy to hear that you replaced that old 182
with a new business jet.  Kudos!