CADORS 2017O0906

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
JW Scud

Update,

"C-GKLA, a Cessna 172M operated by Smiths Falls Flying Club, was downwind for runway 24 at Smith Falls, Ontario (CYSH), with an instructor and student on board. A practice forced landing (PFL) following simulated engine failure was conducted. During the PFL the student pilot overshot the runway centerline during the turn to final approach. The instructor took control and attempted to land on runway 24, however the aircraft touched down hard with the left main landing gear on the asphalt runway surface. The right main landing gear and the nose wheel touched down on the grass beside the runway. The nose wheel dug into the soft grass, collapsed and broke off. The aircraft flipped over and sustained substantial damage. There were no injuries."

[size=2][font=verdana]Sou[/font]nds[/size][size=1em] pretty bad. But it also sounds like it was an instructor and student on board, not some hero African bush pilot.[/size]

Colonel

Pilot getting checked out was African Bush Pilot Hero.

I can understand someone that flies as badly as he,
claiming to be a student afterwards.

Nice try.
John Swallow

Um........

Ah, ta hell with it.  It's too obvious.

TundraTire

[quote author=JW Scud link=topic=6161.msg16853#msg16853 date=1495926437]

The instructor took control [/quote]
David MacRay

Someone authoring that CADORS wrote, "took control"

[img]https://media.tenor.com/images/e9d8f19b ... /tenor.gif[/img]
Colonel

TSB always gets every tiny detail correct.

Uh huh.

They were correct that the instructor was PIC and lost interest after that.
Slick Goodlin

[quote]
C-GKLA, a Cessna 172M operated by Smiths Falls Flying Club, was downwind for runway 24 at Smith Falls, Ontario (CYSH), with an instructor and student on board. A [b][i]practice [/i]forced landing (PFL) following[i] simulated [/i]engine failure [/b]was conducted. During the PFL the student pilot overshot the runway centerline during the turn to final approach. [b]The instructor took control and attempted to land on runway 24,[/b] however the aircraft touched down hard with the left main landing gear on the asphalt runway surface. The right main landing gear and the nose wheel touched down on the grass beside the runway. The nose wheel dug into the soft grass, collapsed and broke off. The aircraft flipped over and sustained substantial damage. There were no injuries.
[/quote]
Does anyone else get the impression there's a dirty secret in here?
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=6161.msg16250#msg16250 date=1493709768]
Yeah, that was Rookie's [u]bush pilot hero from Africa[/u].

Couldn't land a 172 in a crosswind.  My hero.
[/quote]

I'm curious how it is in any way I know this person, assuming even the "student" was flying?

Never mind the internet doesn't have to make any sense.
Colonel

[quote]the internet doesn't have to make any sense.[/quote]

I learned that from you a long time ago.

Still waiting for pictures of your shiny new corporate jet.
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=6161.msg16866#msg16866 date=1495986852]
[quote]the internet doesn't have to make any sense.[/quote]

I learned that from you a long time ago.

Still waiting for pictures of your shiny new corporate jet.
[/quote]

I wasn't aware I owned a jet.  Sorry to disappoint. 

How do I know this person you reference in the accident exactly?  (As stated he's supposed to be my bush pilot hero from Africa)
What was his name and what country is he from?  (Africa has more than one country, BTW)
Was he in control of the plane when landing?

This is a really interesting story. Help us out with some factual  details....